Topic

Fiberfix emergency spoke kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Fiberfix emergency spoke kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I spied this blog review on the Fiberfix emergrncy spoke kit. It uses Kevlar cord for replacing a broken spoke. This could be a shared resource on couple and small group rides too.

Emergency Spoke Review -https://vikapproved.wordpress.com/2015/07/11/fiberfix-emergency-spoke-review/

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

Thanks for sharing this. I just bought two!

I'll probably do some very crude comparisons between the kevlar line and some of my stronger guy lines (stuff like "tech line" or "zingit") to see if they'd work for multi-purpose use.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Not sure what Vik says…

But be careful with these. They can get your wheel back in true. However they don't really add strength to your wheel. If you are breaking spokes on tour, its probably because your wheel isn't strong enough…and you are now down a spoke. You will keep breaking more until you properly rectify the issues (eg replace spoke, carefully retension and true wheel, reduce load weight, get a strong enough wheel replacement…).

Best bet is always to have the spokes (and new brass nipples) you need on hand. Spare spokes don't weigh much-a few grams each.

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

Adam,

Thanks for the input. It's always helpful to hear weigh the pros and cons so that we can utilize tools/equipment to their fullest.

I'm not terribly concerned about the longevity/durability of the fiberfix…For me, bike-packing is often an extension of cycling rather than an extension of camping/backpacking; Because of this, I rarely find myself riding rough terrain (I stick to highways,roads,limestone paths) but I'd imagine there are many others who will see your post that don't fit my style of bikepacking.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools