Topic

Overnight in Goat Rocks: Surprise Lake & Meade Glacier

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Overnight in Goat Rocks: Surprise Lake & Meade Glacier

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was finally able to get a free weekend this summer and decided to head to the east side of Goat Rocks, to the valley and upper basin glaciers that feed the South Fork of the Tieton River. It was a great day on Sunday, but the driving was maybe a little bit too far from Portland for an overnighter, about 4 hours each way.

Saturday was a straight-forward hike through Conrad Meadows (a HUGE meadow; the trailhead is at a very large camp area with lots of horse-trailers) and then up a well-graded trail to Surprise Lake. It's a nice small wooded lake and I was surprised that on a dry July weekend night, it was only me at one end of the lake and a nice couple at the other end.

Sunday morning was a lazy start, then off to explore the upper basin on the east side of Gilbert Peak (tallest peak in Goat Rocks, visible straight east from Cispus Pass on the PCT) where Meade Glacier sits. I just spent half the day wandering around this area. I would definitely camp up here next time. I ran into a man named Robert, who had grown up in the area and it was fun watching him head up to a pass above Meade, which leads around to Conrad Glacier. Maybe next time. I finally headed back to the main loop trail from Surprise Lake and then back to my car.

First view Gilbert Peak
    First View of Gilbert Peak on the way up to Surprise Lake

Surprise Lake
    Leaving Surprise Lake

Gilbert Peak
    Close up of Gilbert Peak

Gilbert Peak with Meade Glacier
    Gilbert Peak with Meade Glacier

Conrad Pass
    The pass over to Conrad Glacier is at center, just right of the cloud. This is the base of Meade Glacier.

Marmots
    Marmots

I have a few more pics to post but I have to resize them first.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Glad you got out! Photos are lovely, look forwarding to the rest.

I'd like to get around to that side in the next season or two.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools