Topic

Wood stove that uses a Heny pot?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wood stove that uses a Heny pot?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Locale: GSM Area

I have designed and am building a proto type wood stove that would be possible to use a heny pot or a full size pot that would weigh in less than 5oz. Any Tips? Right now I am getting 1.5cups of cool water to boil in around 9-11 mins. I think I could go better with some few changes. Pics are to follow, but does anyone else make something like this?

Tommy

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Tom, I am very interested in your design and materials.
    I am looking into creating a woodstove for a small pot of about 1-1.3L, and am thinking of usin lightweight mesh covered in a BPL Ti windscreen. Im hoping for sub 5oz, pref about 4oz

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Right now i am at 4.2oz the heny pot fits down in the stove for a storage area. I will get pics up with info soon. I actually would like to have about 2 people to test these for me…

IF anyone is interested in testing a proto type for the trail and giving feedback that would be helpful.

Tommy

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

I would love to test one…but Im in Australia, and postage isnt that cheap.

Are you looking at refining the design for your own use, or is this for a commercial venture?

Is your stove a double walled design at all?

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Personally, with the wood stove, I wouldn't try to get it boiling faster, but get it burning cleaner with less smoke.
    I think this is the biggest turn off for me. As an added benefit it will be more efficient anyway, and probably burn hotter.

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

I am working on a double wall setup, but right now it is a single wall. I am looking at making a handful for not only personal use, but if they are successful selling a few on here. I am not looking into a mass production. I mainly want feedback. I enjoy making them, it is a challenge to me.

Tommy

Kevin Vandergrift
    Spectator

@krazyvan

Hi Tom, I would love to test one of your woodburning stoves. Please PM me or respond with details. Thanks, Kevin

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

ditto, time to boil should not be the goal of a LW/UL wood stove (just make it bigger and hotter and you can make that happen), what you should target is cleaner burn using less wood… 9-11 min is fine for a wood stove… and as Adam mentioned making it cleaner burning will likely result in a hotter flame which should result in some reduction of boil time.

Anyhow, having said all that I'm a big fan of woodstove and would like to see pic of your design and get a chance to test / play with it if possible…

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

I should have pics ready after the Thanksgiving on thursday. I am bogged down right now with all the fun family stuff going on so I haven't had time to make a few small changes. My goal is to get it to burn cleaner and hotter. boil time was a secondary goal with it. My big goal is to make an inexpensive wood stove that could use smaller pots.

right now it can also double as an ALC stove housing/windscreen. I used my MYOG alc stove as well as a MBD ATOMIC to test it out with. it worked great for that incase you go above the tree line. It should work with a MBD elite which is .3oz… good to have as a backup just in case.

Tommy

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Tom,

I am thinking about making a variety of different woodstoves, including designing/modifying designs of my own, for part of my Baden Powell Award for Rover Scouts (the highest youth award in Scouts in Australia-and many other countries).

If its not feasible to test one of your designs, that you made yourself, I would love to have a crack at making it myself, and I can give you feedback afterwards.

Particularly, it will be interesting to see if there are many differences for me, being in Australia, using Australian native fuels, such as Acacia spp and Eucalyptus spp twigs, leaves, bark, etc.

I want to build one stove that is sub 5oz and useable before August next year (I have alot on my plate until then), and after that I will get cracking on a few more, such as a Nimblewood Nomad, a battery powered zip stove, etc.

In particular, my aim will be a woodstove large enough for a 1L pot, that does not leave a fire scar, burns reasonably clean, but does not risk producing flying ash and sparks. I want it to be sub 4oz if possible. Will be tough.

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Adam,

PM me your address and I will check what postage would be. I don't mind to send one to you to test and give feedback. Just let me know… Pics will be up tomorrow.

Tommy

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Here are a few pics of the first prototype. it is the rough version of the single wall version. I have a double wall version in the works but the weight will be closer to 6oz. this one weighs in at exactly 4oz. It can use as small of a pot as you want to try, but was designed for the Heny pot.

It uses a false floor to transfer airflow. I have less smoke from it than with my hobo stove. the airflow keeps it burning hotter and cleaner…not as clean as a double wall, but it is a trade off for the weight i guess. The test ones are almost ready to ship out. They will be nicely packaged including a carry sac, instructions and other goodies.

Stove setup to burn
    Stove with Heny stored.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Tommy, so you're design is similar to a J Falk but with the addition of a raised floor and, I presume, uses a can that is 'just' big enough for the Henie? Nice.

PS – Who all are getting the tester kits?

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

It is similar to the Jfalk stove. The can is alittle smaller and about 2oz lighter even with the raised floor. I built a few J falk/hobo stoves to test against mine and I had less smoke and faster boil. I used the same wood supply, water source. the vary is I couldn't use a heny on a jfalk stove.

I have Kevin V, Steve D and possibly Adam in AUS. Adam send me your info and I will check shipping. If Adam can't test I will have an extra for review.

Tommy

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Yup, Taller + Raised floor will result in more draft and more air supply resulting in a cleaner burn over the JFalk.

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

I am pretty happy with the test models. They are more cleanly made then my tester one pictured. I am going to make a few more I think to sell once I get feedback/suggestions. I am thinking about 15 bucks each or so. Does that sound like a decent price?
    For my testers Stoves will go out friday or sat. expect them within the following week. If something has changed or you no longer want to test the stove please PM me.

Tommy

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Joshua,

PM me your shipping info for a tester stove!

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Just sent the PM…

I suspect $15 isn't bad at all for a woodstove that'll do henies… toss in the henies and it's a brilliant price (I'm presuming these wouldn't be TOO labor intensive you you to crank out and you actually like consuming the insides of the vessels you use ;)

Anyhow, I'll definitely give you some feedback as soon as I get it.

Cool!

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Looking at the pictures,

it certainly looks interesting! I like the idea of a false floor-easy way to improve efficiency and at the same time reduce the potential of a fire scar and/or setting ground litter alight.

Is that cord wrapped around your Heny pot? Wow, first time Ive seen that.

I wish I could find Fosters/Heinekin cans in those large sizes here in Australia. They only come in regular (~375mL) sizes here. And Heineken is way more common that Fosters. No one, and I mean noone drinks fosters. You cant even get it from a normal pub, club or bottle-o. You have to go to one of the massive Bottle-o's to find Fosters. Heineken you can get almost anywhere.

I think the sizing for a heinekin pot would put your stove in quite a niche, and will be quite popular on BPL. Its already lighter than a BB, and being able to use a heini pot will take it that one step further.

Well done!

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

just checking, but will the peg slots fit BPL 1gm Ti pegs? I have a set of those that I use mainly for pot stands.

Im sure they will, so its not a problem

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Adam,

PM sent back. The cord is fiberglass wick and allows you to grab the pot at even a rolling boil. I will check on the stakes, but I would assume it will since the are very similar to the ones I am using. Could you check Dia. on them and I can tell you.

Tommy

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Tommy,

What can did you find that fit the Henie so well?

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

Here is one of the stoves that will be sent out.

Bag and Stove
    Stove alone
    Stove with Heny

Tommy

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Oooh… pretty… I presume that's grill paint? If so, that's a heck of a nice touch…

I know from previous pics that there are mutliple 'heights' for the stakes… any chance that one of them is placed at and appropriate level for ESBIT?

Tommy Clapp

@tcxjwagoneer

What would be the height for an esbit tab? The lowest setting is set for use with an alcohol stove incase you are above the tree line. I can add a set of holes lower if needed for one, but I would guess the lowest holes may work.

That is 1200* grill paint. I have to finish the other storage sacks and print the instructions and then they will be out in the mail. They are not the best on the market, but they do the job better than a hobo stove and are extemely light for a wood stove. 4.2oz after paint.

Tommy

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools