Topic

Atsko DWR treatment and dryer temp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Atsko DWR treatment and dryer temp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

So the directions for Atsko Permanent Water-Guard say to wash, spray the garment, then heat set with either a hot iron or hot dryer. Atsko directions say to follow the garment laundering instructions regarding the dryer temp, to use the highest temp that those directions will allow. Okay. So one of my rain jackets says put in dryer on low heat and another says dryer on 'warm'. But what does that mean??? My dryer has four settings: Low, Knit, Permanent Press, and High… And how do I know if the low on my dryer is as low as other dryers… could be the same as medium heat on other dryers. Or, perhaps the medium heat on my dryer is as hot as high heat on other dryers. Bottom like is I don't want to ruin any of my rain jackets with too much hear, but I do want to run them through hot enough to get a good 'set' of the Atsko DWR treatment. For the record, I am treating two Marmot Precip jackets (one says to tumble dry warm, the other tumble dry low) and a Marmot Mica jacket (says tumble dry low).

Please advise… do I just run them through on low or do I risk a higher setting?

thanks,

Billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Also throw in a Patagonia Houdini into the mix… laundry instructions are some iconic symbols which I don't understand… so is it okay to spry it with Atsko DWR and put it in the dryer… what temp setting?

thanks,
    Billy

Stephen Parks
    Spectator

@sdparks

Locale: Southwest

Edit:

Whoops!

I thought I had copied a link to laundry symbols, but somehow still had a link to that video on my clipboard. Sorry! I'm glad the authorities here didn't catch it, I might have gotten BG'ed.

Still, though, AMERICA!

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Sorry Stephen but I don't see how that UTube link to a vid about Amerika has anything to do with Laundry Symbols.. either you linked the wrong vid or it's too early this morning for me to get it…

billy

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest
    Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Thanks Dale…

Billy

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

From Atsko DWR directions:
    "Use highest temperature allowed by the manufacturer's care tag (cloths dryer or iron)"
    "Fabric must be washable and suitable for high heat with cloths dryer or iron per garment manufacturer's care tag."

I believe I have also read here on BPL that the highest temperature 'sets' the DWR treatment better.

So question(s):
    All my WP/B jackets' care tags say dryer on low heat. That would mean they are not "suitable for high heat… "

1) So question is, am I wasting my time using this Atsko product?
    2) Do you guys just ignore the care tags and use high heat? And if so, have you ruined any jackets?

thanks,

Billy

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

So is Atsko much better than Revivex or McNett DWR sprays?

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

I have no idea which is better. I just picked up Atsko as several here at BPL seemed to think highly of it. But why do you ask? Is your question somehow relevant to my question as to dryer heat?

thanks,
    billy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools