Topic

was looking for SUL options for a change up from my eVENT bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion was looking for SUL options for a change up from my eVENT bivy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I've been using a MLD eVENY bivy for my running/fast packing adventures; packs small, easy to setup (roll it out :) ), pretty lightweight @ 14.8 oz (Large), but always looking for lighter options

I started eyeballing some of the small (6×9') cube flat tarps that are under 5 oz, but once I started pairing it w/ a lightweight bivy (found a few just under 5 oz) and then added in guy lines and stakes, I was quickly approaching the weight of the bivy

I've used small tarps in the past (5×9) – poncho tarps, and I got by with them w/o too much problem, but would be reluctant to use w/o a bivy- my old lightweight bivy saved my butt several times in rain

maybe a larger cuben tarp, sans a bivy??? would still have to factor in a ground clothing, guys/stakes

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A poncho tarp and SUL bivy works on the spreadsheet as you get rain gear in the mix.

Something like a Titanium Goat Ptarmigan bivy with the net hood gives you bug and splash protection with a breathable top for 7.4oz, plus something like a GoLite Poncho at 7oz, and as you mentioned, stakes and lines. That leaves you near identical to the weight of your eVent bivy, with the multiple use as rain gear. You can cowboy camp with it in good weather too.

For use without a bivy, I would want a big tarp– like 8×10. Zpacks makes an 8.5×10 tarp at 6.7oz bare (and $255). No bug protection there.

It seems like the next step up are the shaped tarp tents like the SMD Deschutes CF, MLD Solomid, etc— the idea being that you get more side protection and can go without a bivy. Still no bug protection and the COST, stakes, lines, etc.

Ain't no free lunch!

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

I like the ZPacks Hexamid solo. I leave the stakes at home, which is usually fine where I hike (turns out, there's lots of rocks above 8,000 feet in the Sierra). It weighs 6.31 oz. I have the beak, but not the netting.

When I need no bug protection, it's fine on its own–no bivy needed. Total weight is 6.31 oz.
    When I need light bug protection, I'll bring the tarp + a head net. Total weight is about 7.0 oz.
    When I need heavy bug protection, I'll bring the tarp + the bivy. Total weight is around 13 oz.
    In all of those cases, I carry a rain shell which weighs 5.9 oz.

If I really think the weather will be good, then I consider leaving the Hexamid, bivy and shell at home, and bringing my GoLite poncho tarp. Now the total weight is 7.0 oz. The main drawback is that I'm not particularly fond of the GoLite either as worn or pitched rain protection. And, I use my rain shell as a wind shirt, which I don't do with the GoLite. But–for a short trip, where I expect the probability that I'll use it is low, sometimes I go this route.

The key difference between your bivy and this system is flexibility–on my heaviest trips, my 13.0 oz is slightly lighter than your 14.8. But for many trips, my system is lighter. And I don't have to pitch the tarp unless the weather actually threatens, which–overnight–isn't that common, in my neck of the woods.

In any case, this is all in general agreement with Dale–every option drawbacks. Your bivy is simple to pitch (Step 1. Set on ground), and offers full weather and bug protection, always. But it is heavier than other potential systems, particularly when the bug and/or weather protection isn't as important.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Ain't that the truth! :)

I'll look into some of the shaped cuben shelters, if they are storm worthy enough to use w/o a bivy then it might be just what I'm looking for- a head net or worse case a Simblissity "bivy" for bugs

R Banks
    BPL Member

@eddaka

Locale: everywhere i guess

My grace solo with zpack guy lines weights about 6.5 ounces. It survived all sorts of rain on the PCT. If there are bugs I bring a headnet and wear it to bed with a baseball cap. Ti Stakes are 2oz, poly groundsheet is 1.5oz. 11oz total and decently storm worthy.

Also I don't know if you carry a synthetic bag with that event bivy (if not how do you deal with condensation?) then that's even more weight you can cut by switching to a down bag.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Richard- good to know; I think a tarp large enough to not need a bivy would be the best bet for saving weight. I like the idea of a tapered tarp- makes sense having the front half wider than the rear and saving weight. How many guys/stakes do you need for an effective pitch on the Grace?

Thus far (summer through winter), haven't had any issues w/ condensation- albeit the Rockies are typically fairly low on humidity and have always used a down quilt w/ the eVENT bivy

R Banks
    BPL Member

@eddaka

Locale: everywhere i guess

I've always liked the idea of an event bivy but was always afraid of just condensation soaking my bag and getting screwed. Maybe one day I'll buy one and try it out.

If you can camp below tree line and its not crazy windy, you can use trees to setup the tarp (I don't use trekking poles) and a minimum of 4 stakes using just the corners. (1 oz.) I carried 8 stakes on the pct and that allowed me to use sticks to setup the tarp if trees weren't available and I could also use 3 stakes on each side for even more protection. I loved the tarp and never had a problem not using a bivy. Sometimes I would pitch it really low, but it worked great.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

if you do any snow cave/trench camping- the eVENT bivy is really nice (I carry it in my winter daypack as well along w/ a half bag)- like any bivy your sleep system gets a 5-10 degree boost too

I use trekking poles, so good to go on that account- sounds like it would be worth having 8 stakes available (3 to a side, 1 front, 1 rear) if you got into poor (windy/wet) weather

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools