Topic

Gossamer Gear Pilgrim vs Kumo vs Murmur

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Gossamer Gear Pilgrim vs Kumo vs Murmur

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

Gossamer Gear have released a new pack; the Pilgrim.

http://gossamergear.com/pilgrim-rolltop-backpack.html

36L, roll top, ~20oz.

If you are familiar with their current line up, including the Kumo and Murmur, its very similar to both of those. Ever so slight detail differences.

I find this quite interesting. Maybe its just me. They have three packs that are almost functionally the same. The hipbelts and the fabrics are the main key differences here. The Kumo and Murmur have detachable hipbelts, with the lighter Murmur being having some 3D mesh padding while the slightly heavier Kumo has a webbing only belt (this seems backward to me). The new Pilgrim has a built in hipbelt, with 3D mesh wings.

Murmur:12.39oz, 36L, Removable minimalist 3D mesh wing hipbelt, 0.97oz Cordura Nylon

Kumo:15.7oz, 36L, Removable webbing hipbelt, 100, 200 denier Robics, some 210 denier ripstop nylon

Pilgrim:20.17oz, 36L, built in 3D mesh wing hipbelt, 100 and 200 denier Robics.

They all look like useful packs, and I can see that different people have slightly different wants and needs. Given that the packs are only 36L, there is only so much you can fit in them, I'm surprised that they have so many hipbelt options. If the removeable 3D wing belt of the Murmur works, I'm surprised they don't just use that across all three, or option the two removeable hipbelts.

The pilgrim does look (aesthetically) like a nicer pack than the Kumo…I've never understood their lid shaping on that pack, looks terrible, like a MYOG afterthought.

My other thought is maybe this is a missed opportunity to create pad holder in that size of pack, to take something more than a sitlight pad. Personally I struggle to see why you have such a pad in what is coming close or is a SUL set up. I'd probably drop coin on a Murmur if it could reliably take their torsolite pad (which I have, and love). If I want to sit on a pad in camp, I just sit on that!

I wonder if one of these packs is going to disappear from their line up sometime soon?

Sam Riggle
    Spectator

@samriggle

Locale: South East

I own a Gorilla and until recently, owned a Kumo. Having said that, I will now say that they are basically the exact same size. I sold the Kumo because the two packs overlapped so much. I really couldn't tell the difference in size unless I overlayed the two. So, to ME, the Kumo doesn't make sense when you could invest a bit more money for a Gorilla and have basically the same pack once you strip the Gorilla. Except for the webbing hipbelt. And, add back the frame and hipbelt to the Gorilla, and you can haul loads the Kumo would be uncomfortable with. But, you can buy a hipbelt for the Kumo that has padded pockets on it. You can have them rest perfectly on the bony part of your hips. I really did like the Kumo. The Gorilla just ended up more versatile. This is all just my experience/opinion.

But, thank you for pointing out the Pilgrim. They have some nice packs and it's always great to have the options to choose the pack that suits you best. I would like to get my hands on a Type II and the QuikSak. Those look like neat packs for long weekends.

And I LOVE their lid design. Lol

But, I do think at least one pack will disappear soon enough. I believe it will be the Kumo because it is too much like a stripped Gorilla (as I ranted about earlier). Maybe the Pilgrim will be its replacement? Different design from the Gorilla, so maybe that will set the Pilgrim apart from the Murmur and Gorilla.

I don't know, man. Just my $0.02. Ha

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

They definitely have lots of pack overlap!

I think, if they can handle it economically, having lots of pack options is great. Though sometimes for consumers having too many options is a bad thing.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools