I've come up against this problem a few times now, and I'm wondering what the hivemind has to say.
Most of my friends know I'm into backpacking, so if they're going to try it out they generally come to me for advice. Sometimes it's a trip I'm organizing, sometimes it's with some guided group, or sometimes it's just a family trip they want to try out. I generally tell them to weigh their stuff and put it on LighterPack.com, then send me the list and I'll help them out. But it's also helpful to send them an article or blog post that explains the basics of lightweight backpacking — multiple use gear, leaving luxuries at home, packing for the conditions, the "big three" (or four), and other foundational principles along with easy-to-implement examples.
There are a lot of "Lightweight 101" options out there, and none of them are perfect or comprehensive. Not everybody is a gear nerd like me who wants to spend hours browsing the BPL archives and forums or reading through an entire book like Skurka's gear guide.
So, hivemind: if you could send one article, and only one, to your friend who is totally new to backpacking and wants to start out right, what would you send them?

