Topic

Which combo of Jacket and Vest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which combo of Jacket and Vest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nicholas Couis
    BPL Member

@nichoco

I’m looking to use either a Patagonia R2 Jacket and BPL Cocoon Vest/Montbell Thermawrap vest or BPL Cocoon Pullover/Montbell Thermawrap Jacket with a Patagonia R2 Vest.I,m looking for the most flexable system with the broadest temperature range.The weight is nearly the same and the fleece is for breathability and durability.Thanks.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I assume you are talking reasonably cold weather, right? The combination I like is a montbell thermawrap vest paired with a patagonia micro puff, though the Cocoon pullover would be a fine choice as well.

My standard winter trip has the days which range between 10j-30F with the nights dropping to between -10 and 20F. In these conditions I typically bring a Patagonia R.5 base (mid to heavy weight), warm hat, neck gaitor, an unlined hooded wind shell (patagonia essenshell – EPIC fabric, or dragonfly 3oz windshirt), a Thermawrap vest, and the patagonia micro puff.

I have found that depending on wind I can be comfortable when active in my base + hat + (either the windshirt or thermawrap) down to around 20F and the combination of the two down to around 0F. When sitting around the combination of vest + windshirt keeps me happy to around 20F.

For me, the micro puff is way too warm when I am active until it is below 5F, and too warm sitting around if it is above around 35F. So I use the micro puff during rest stops and at night when I am not really active. If it gets suprisingly cold I sometimes wear base + the micro puff when active, and the thermawrap vest and micro puff once I stop.

Of course, these temp ranges assume I am not wet and have had enough to eat / drink. Compromise one of these things and and the comfort ranges change.

–mark

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools