Topic

Custe SP, Theodore Roosevelt NP, and MN.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Custe SP, Theodore Roosevelt NP, and MN.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Locale: Midwest

Hey guys (and gals)…Last minute trip with the family starting tomorrow. Gonna head to Custer SP (SD) and then up to Teddy Roosevelt. On the way back to the STL we're gonna swing thru MNPLS and maybe hit Pictured Rocks, or Apostle Islands, or ???

Will have the wife and 9yo in tow…so…probably limited to day hikes, maybe short hike into camp, and back out.

They're good for about 8-10 mile (loops).

Any suggestions for any of these locations, must-sees, etc.

Pretty open on the MN/WI/MI end of things…

TIA
    -Mark in St. Louis

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

or ???

Well … Lake Superior's north Shore. Head east on I-94 from TRNP until you get to Fargo. Then take US-10 to Motely, MN. From there take MN-210 until you reach I-35 near Carlton, MN. Take I-35 to it's north end in Duluth and head up the Lake on MN-61 (called London Rd in Duluth).

What's there?

* Superior Hiking Trail … has several good day hike opportunities
    * Several State Parks where major rivers descend to the Lake, day hike opportunities at every one
    * The Lake

I can provide more detail if you are interested.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Hey Jim… The SHT was on the radar as well…but…Would you choose it over Pictured Rocks?

One of the guys at work often goes near Gooseberry Falls/Split Rock and seems to like it a lot (also with a kid in tow).

One of the bigger challenges for the trip will be figuring out something to do (per the family) on July 4th…maybe a little slice of Americana in Medora…

-Mark

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

TR NP has great dayhikes. The Petrified Forest loop has a ton of petrified wood, great views, and usually plenty of bison. My wife and I spent a few hours more than anticipated hiking that because we kept having to detour around the herds.

The various prairie dogs tons would also be pretty cool for kids.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

SHT was on the radar as well…but…Would you choose it over Pictured Rocks?

I refuse to accept your dichotomy … :-) Both would be very doable. Gooseberry Falls is only about 40 miles from the center of Duluth and Splitrock Lighthouse is only about 5 miles farther. Coming from Nodak you'll go through Duluth to get to the UP.

Gooseberry's Fifth Falls loop is a very easy hike up one side of the river and back down the other side and the lower falls are spectacular too. There is a great hilly 5 mile loop up the west side of the Splitrock River and down the east side. It departs from the first of the two waysides you encounter before you get to the state park entrance. The lighthouse tour is nice as are the trails down by the lake. There's much more farther up the shore but if you give into the "might as wells" you will end up at the border without ever having driven more than 10 miles between hilites.

Pictured Rocks are nice … but the South Shore is so, well …… south:-) The Apostles are very nice but if I want to see a place trying to be New England I think I'd prefer Maine where they don't have to try.

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Thanks Jim… Ignoring The Apostles Maine-lite experience (I'm from Mass…Love Maine, but won't be back there this year, I doubt)…Do you think it's best to just camp on the shoreside and then ferry over to an island (or two or three or whatever) and explore/hike??

We probably don't have time to do Minneapolis + SHT-area stuff + Pictured Rocks + Wisconsin Dells (for the boy) on our limited timetable.

It will probably come down to MNPLS, (1) camping/hiking AREA, Dells, and then homeward bound…might be able to check out Duluth/SHT and The Apostles…if it's "worth it".

TA
    -Mark

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

Looks like Teddy didn't make the cut…I've just been informed we've got to be back on Tuesday, so probably just gonna head to MN/WI…

-Mark

Mark Andrews

@buldogge

For any MN/WI locals…How is the bug/fly situation right now around Superior?

TIA
    -Mark

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools