Hi All. I'm planning a mid-September five-day hike from Kane Gulch trailhead to the Collins Canyon trailhead. What water sources are likely to exist that time of year? Thanks, – Phil.
Topic
Grand Gulch water availability in September
Become a member to post in the forums.
- This topic is empty.
nm
I am also interested in the responses. We plan to be in there in early Nov. I know it will depend on the monsoon season as well.
Will depend on what rain falls there in the two weeks prior.
Call the BLM office in Monticello during those two weeks.
billy
Billy Ray, I know you have vast experience in that area. Are none of what used to be reliable springs running anymore? Like Todie canyon, Jailhouse, or Big Pouroff?
My experiences there are in the spring.
And being it is several drought years in a row now, not sure you can relay on information that reflects the 'norm' anyway. But I would hazard the guess that water in September and early October will depend on how much rain falls the first two weeks of September during the last of the monsoons. And I would guess that your early November trip will depend on post monsoon rains.
These things are impossible to predict this far in advance.
Watch the weather over there starting in September.
And call the BLM in Monticello the week before you leave and then check in with them again just before you hike.
As for the springs you mention in the more popular upper end on Grand Gulch. I really don't know if they can be depended on. I hiked that part of the canyon once in the 90's and have been hiking the more remote canyons on Cedar Mesa since. I do know that many of the springs dry up. And I would think more so this year.
Billy
Billy, thanks for the information. I of course will follow the weather and contact the BLM for updates as we get closer. I have hiked GC in April and Nov. but it was in the mid 70's and water was never a problem back then.
Become a member to post in the forums.

