Topic

one pound sleeping bag recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) one pound sleeping bag recommendations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Schmidt

@dschmidt

I am looking to cut my sleeping bag weight in half for a mid-Sept. John Muir trail hike. I carry a BD Firstlight tent(would not give it up to save a limb) so I can go with a higher temp rated bag with light shell material. Right now I carry a 2lb mountainsmith vision which is very warm if not overkill in Sept. in a tent. Also, I move around ALOT in my sleep and toss and turn. I am 6’2″ and fairly broad shouldered. I current use a ridgerest but would like to upgrade to a torsolite or something similar. This would allow for a sleeping bag with no down in the bottom such as a sierra designs wicked fast. As far as layering, I am thinking a driclime and a baselayer will suffice. Or should I bring along my micro puff pullover?

any suggestions?

Richard Nelridge
    Spectator

@naturephoto1

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania

Daniel,

You may want to look at the following Rock and Ice article about light sleeping bags:

http://tinyurl.com/bwsh4

Rich

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

I would look at some of the Western Mountaineering bags that are close to but not at 16 oz. The Highlite is 20 oz size large with stuff sack, and rated I think (I forget) at 45 degrees. I am 6’1 210 and had to sell it because it was too confining for me. Their are many WM bags that are nearly that weight that are quite good. Instead I would maybe look at at ID Sil Tarp/Equinox Bivy combo with the bag that you do have instead. Your weight would be the same and it would give you considerable options in sleeping at night. More times than not, I don’t even pitch my tarp at night and sleep under the stars. I hike almost exclusively in The Sierras and just love sleeping under the stars every chance I get. If this does not work out for you, check out some WM bags.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools