Topic

Alaska February 2016

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedJun 24, 2015 at 1:14 pm

I have a conference in Anchorage Feb 14-16 and I want to take advantage of the outdoors while I am there. What would be the top things to do/see/hike while there? I can bring all kinds of equipment and stay an extra day if needed.

PostedJun 24, 2015 at 1:42 pm

If you like to fatbike or XC ski, both of those are excellent in Anchorage. The XC ski options are superb right in town with lots of lighted and groomed trails all over the place, and the fatbiking is amazing with lots of sanctioned singletrack in and east of town. Due to the short daylight, skiing and fatbiking in town are great options.

PostedJun 25, 2015 at 9:57 am

Here are some useful maps if you do Fatbike or XC/skate ski:

Overview with lighted ski trails (black dotted), bike routes/multiuse trails, and the major greenbelt connectors: Anchorage overview

Campbell Creek Park and Hillside trails

And more for fatbiking, the STA Hillside trails: STA Trails

Kincaid Park singletrack (fatbiking) map. There are lots of other trails here that are ski only. Kincaid singletrack

Chainreaction Cycles, Fatback Cycles, and others in town will rent/demo fatbikes. A good bike light is key, but winter riding in the dark is AWESOME! Here is a video I made of riding in Anchorage in the winter: Alaskan Winter Day and Night

And another: Fatbiking the Chugach

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...