Topic

CT Mosquitoes?

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedJun 23, 2015 at 8:58 am

I'm starting the CT next week and was wondering about mosquitoes, if I could get by without an innernet. I know snowmelt was earlier this year so perhaps July won't be as bad. I'll have a headnet and wind pants/jacket sprayed with permethrin in case they're bad in the evening hours.

Also: this will be the longest time I'll be above treeline, so I'm indecisive on shelters: Duo Patrol Shelter or is it more prudent to bring Duomid due to more exposed camping?

Thx

Luke Schmidt BPL Member
PostedJun 23, 2015 at 9:50 am

I think you'll be OK without the net. But I would carry the headnet and small bottle of 90-100% DEET just in case.
I only spent one night above treeline so either tarp should work.

Randy Nelson BPL Member
PostedJun 23, 2015 at 10:14 am

In case you haven't heard the Waterton Canyon start of the CT is closed (segment 2 just re-opened today). There's a good chance it will be open next week but keep it in mind in case you have to take one of the alternates.

PostedJun 23, 2015 at 10:20 am

Thanks Randy for the heads up. I thought it had closed awhile back and then re-opened. Either way, I will check continuously and make entry Plan B.

Thx again.

Paul Magnanti BPL Member
PostedJun 23, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Re-opened again per the CTF; posted today…waterton still closed (oh well..a bit redundant. Sorry randy!)

BREAKING NEWS…JUNE 23…OPEN AGAIN. At the CT Segment 1-2 division, the GUDY GASKILL FOOTBRIDGE HAS REOPENED effectively reopening CT Segments 1 and 2. River water has receded and underneath the bridge, the dirt bank with trail is again above water allowing good passage. We also just learned, the ROAD FROM SEDALIA TO THE BRIDGE LOCATION HAS REOPENED, from Sedalia, West on CO Hwy 67 around 16 miles, and North on Platte River County Rd 97 around 4 miles to the South Platte River Trailhead and Gudy Gaskill Bridge. STILL CLOSED IS WATERTON CANYON and CT users will need to use one the two alternatives for starting Segment 1 of The Colorado Trail that are briefed (along with map) on this web page –>

http://www.ColoradoTrail.org/waterton.html

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...