Topic

Personal Locator Beacons? Do I need one?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Personal Locator Beacons? Do I need one?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

>> Up until recently PLBs did not exist, and people went walking quite happily, even on long trips <<

Which can also be said about carbon fiber poles, Titanium, Cuben Fiber, and high tech trail runners …

Seems that improvements in navigation and communication (and being rescued) is harder to accept than improvements in materials. I hope you turn down the Helicopter ride in favour of a horse if you are ever rescued (after all, they never used to use helicopters and people were still rescued).

I carry an inReach and here's my thinking…

Every time I wander somewhere that feels remote or even take a diversions that takes me off trail I ask myself, "OK, if I fall down here and can't get up, what would I do?". Typically, the answer is that I'd wait until somebody reports me missing. It's really unlikely that somebody will happen upon me.

So for me it's an easy decision… carry a few extra ounces and make the emergency call myself (and not wait a couple of days for somebody else to do it). It probably won't happen to me and I'm pretty resourceful but if I did find myself in that situation and I wasn't prepared, I'd feel pretty stupid. So somebody mentioned "using your brain"… that's what I do and my brain tells me that having that rescue option is a very good idea.

Consider the inReach or PLB to be like a first aid kit. It's dead weight and you hope you will never need it.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Mike

in a light-hearted spirit:
    >Which can also be said about carbon fiber poles, Titanium, Cuben Fiber, and high tech trail runners …

We don't carry trekking poles.
    Titanium is just a metal, like aluminium. It has its uses in SOME places.
    Cuben Fiber has rather poor abrasion resistance and gets pin-holes easily.
    High tech runners with gel soles, pronation control and arch supports – yeah, right.

If I might be so bold, those are not especially good examples.
    But you could note that I do not travel solo: I always have my wife with me. My own built-in rescue service … and hot water bottle in bed.

Cheers

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

"I always have my wife with me. My own built-in rescue service"

I used to do that. But then I found BPL and discovered there were lighter options.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

>> I always have my wife with me. My own built-in rescue service … <<

You are a lucky man in that regard Roger (that your wife goes with you) but having a partner as your rescue mechanism is not a great option in my opinion… better than nothing but not great! If you are days from the trail-head (common for me) and no cell service, you will have a long wait for extraction.

In my younger years we discussed this, if something happens, the other guy will hike/run non-stop until he is out and able to organize a rescue. That's a lot to ask of some of my hiking partners these days (we're getting on).

If I were you, the preferred scenario would be "hit the help button" and let your wife keep you company and help you to be as comfortable as possible until the cavalry arrives. Much better than sending her off on a high mileage rescue run (and suddenly that extra few ounces of electronics doesn't seem so heavy). Conversely, I suspect you would really hate to leave your injured wife alone while you went for help… that would be tough.

To each his own but for me, I can afford the gadget, can manage the extra weight and like the added security of knowing that I may have a way out if the worst happens (but then I also carry bear spray and a well equipped first aid kit… yup, I'm one of "those" guys…).

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Agree completely with Mike

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

"I always have my wife with me. My own built-in rescue service"

"The other guy will hike out and organize a rescue"

Rather than bring a wife to go get medical personnel and gear, I bring a wife who IS medical personnel. HYOH, but decent wilderness medical skills and knowledge (which I have) give me more peace of mind than my SPOT or PLB. Having a physician or two along, even more so. Some places aren't accessible, even by helicopter. Sometimes (often?) things hit the fan during no-fly weather, etc.

I brought a PLB on a 5-day last week, but I was starting the hike with a marginally healed sprained ankle. On established trails, we come in heavily equipped in the knowledge, skills, and experience categories but light on the electronics. I'd have no hesitation hitting up other groups for their PLB, sat phone, etc. Especially on the trail, people help each other out.

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Ideally I'd bring David's wife with me on my next trip! Would that work?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>"Ideally I'd bring David's wife with me on my next trip! Would that work?"

She's a pretty good sherpa, too. With my bum ankle, I was keeping my load to about 30 pounds. (We had two grade-school girls along and traveling over snow fields and while our daughter carried 15-ish pounds, the loaner girl kept up with us better when we emptied her pack into ours'), so my wife and 15-y.o. son ended up with about 55 pounds each.

She's only drunken the UL koolaid regarding sleeping pads, quilts, and mostly on the clothing ensembles. And she lets me select the kitchen gear (although she wants 3 pots for multi-course dinners). I'm still working on her regarding trad tents becoming tarps. And then there's the food. We eat well (we met on a gourmet backpacking trip), but there are always too many calories for each meal and too many courses and extra meals as well. I documented this phenom more thoroughly on this last trip, and I think we can make progress. I'm willing to designate myself the "Hausschwein" (house pig) – that individual in each house that eats the leftovers, usually Dad; and eat ONLY the leftovers (plus the rinse water from doing dishes) if she would leave me out the quantities she brings. Calorically, that would be about right.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I always have my wife with me. My own built-in rescue service …

Seems like this has rung a few bells. It works for us.

"We took risks. We knew we took them. Things have come out against us. We have no cause for complaint."
    Robert Frost

but on the other hand
    "Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore."
    Andre Gide

Cheers

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

"I used to do that. But then I found BPL and discovered there were lighter options."

That's a dangerous joke… but hillarious.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools