Topic

Attaching Pillow(case) to Tapered Pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Attaching Pillow(case) to Tapered Pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I have a Monkey Pillow case that I used to use with my Downmat UL7 but due to a slow leak I may not be able to use it anymore.

I recently acquired a Synmat Winterlite (which is tapered and not rectangular at the top) and was wondering if anyone had any ideas about how to attach a pillow or pillow case. I think the Monkey Pillow case will slide off the tapered pad. In warm weather I don't care if my pillow moves around, but when it gets cold I like to have my head in the hood of a mummy bag so I don't want the pillow to move around.

I thought about using the zpacks velcro tape in some yet to be determined fashion but was wondering if the 20d material would be strong enough for this, especially when rolled up and crammed into the stuff sack.

Any good ideas?

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I found the best way to get a pillow to stay in place on a pad is to either wedge the pillow directly against something like your backpack or the wall of a tent/shelter, or to put a sleeve over your pad and shove the pillow inside the sleeve. For example, if I have an extra shirt at night, I will slide the shirt over the pad, and then shove the pillow inside it. When I lay down my body holds the shirt in place, which holds the pillow in place…

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

You can use bungee cord to tie it to your pad. Bungee is a little heavy so you can also use some sul cord like 1mm gline and use 2 inches of bungee to let it have some give still. Velcro isn't that reliable compared to cord.

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I have never tried it, but I have always opted to use shock cord (1/16") with my pillows to go around my air pad. While I may be wrong, I feel like cord (especially the thin cords) would possibly cut into the pad with much movement. I would rather my pillow slip out than the cord cut into the pad…

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Sticks suggestion of slipping a shirt half way over the head end of your pad then slipping the pillow into the neck of shirt works great. You just need an extra shirt :)

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I just tried my Monkey Pillow case on my Synmat Winterlite. (The Monkey Pillowcase is a a very light pillow case with two elastic/bungie like cords attached. Basically you slide both straps of elastic over your pad and you can slide clothes or an inflatable pillow in the open end of the pillow case.

Mine is made for a rectangular 25 inch wide inflatable, for which it works great. On my new pad, which is tapered, the bottom elastic strap fit well over the pad. Naturally, however, the upper strap was too large, so when I tried it the pillow case slipped off.

If the upper strap were smaller, I think it would work fine. I'm pretty sure they could make one with a smaller upper strap to fit tapered mats.

I then tried Chad's suggestion of the T shirt and that worked GREAT!!! I was using an Exped inflatable pillow and it really locked the pillow in place. I had no idea it would work this well so thanks Chad!

Next task is to find a really light, stretchy t shirt for this task….

Great tip, Chad.

Sam Riggle
    Spectator

@samriggle

Locale: South East

At least the shirt would be multi use!! I've been thinking about buying an inflatable pillow and have been scheming up ways to attach it to a pad. My idea is to put the pillow in my buff, then bunch up the ends and tie cord or bungee around them, and then wrap that around the pad. I was thinking flat shoe laces since they'd be less likely to abrade the pad. Multi use as… Extra shoe laces? Lol.

Just another thought. May be lighter than carrying an extra shirt, but probably wouldn't work as well.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

A pair of velcro strips has worked very well for me over the years… Simple and effective.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools