Topic

Bob Marshall packraft conditions alert

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Bob Marshall packraft conditions alert

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

A warning to those contemplating packrafting trips in the Bob this summer:

Thanks to modest lower elevation snowpack, an early spring, and a record-setting hot and dry June, rivers in the Bob are exceptionally low at the moment. Baring torrential rains for a good part of July, it seems certain that this will continue through the summer. Right now the South Fork is just above 2000 cfs, and the Middle Fork just above 3000 cfs. These flows are at least three weeks ahead of schedule. I expect both rivers to drop below 1000 cfs before August.

This could and should affect packrafting trips.

For example: I would not count of floating Danaher Creek much past July 4th. I wouldn't plan on packrafting on the South Fork above the White River past the first week of August, unless you want to do a lot of dragging. Fires rerouting trips later this summer seem rather likely. On the bright side the lower Wilderness Middle Fork will come down into prime packrafting levels quite soon.

Be ware.

Troy Smith
    BPL Member

@406_t-roy

Locale: Northern Rockies

David, Is there a minimum CFS you would recommend for running the whole South Fork drainage – Youngs to Spotted Bear?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

900 is the lowest I'd go. 1200 is much better for the seven miles from the confluence to Big Prairie.

From Salmon Forks down is good at any level. I've done it at 550 and that is very nice.

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

Hey Dave,
    I made the leap and bought a Denali Llama packraft, will may have been ill-considered, given that I've never packrafted. After trying it out on flat water, I was considering, for the first time on a river, hiking in at Bear Creek to Spruce Creek and floating back out. Seems like a nice day trip, but don't know the actual conditions on that stretch of the middle fork. Or should I stick to the smart but boring Glacier Rim to Blankenship for the first time?

You may recall from our trail conversation last year that I have lots of river experience with a Buck's bag, just new to the packraft. I've downloaded your guide and will be memorizing it tonight. :-)

Appreciate any feedback.
    Dan

(Edit: to change Spruce Park to Spruce Creek.)

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

A fine choice Dan, and congrats on the new boat. The 2015 boats are ridiculously good. Spruce Creek down to Bear Creek has a few riffles which can be spicy at higher levels. If anything this year you might get frustrated with lots of shallow rocks.

I parked at the old West Glacier bridge this morning and hiked most of the way up to Moccasin before floating back down, and that stuff is positively mild at the current flows (and fun).

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

Thanks Dave,
    I should have specified it's a used raft, so actually 2012 version; plenty of boat for my needs, I imagine.

I've been through that section of the middle fork with all the major rapids many times, but only as a passenger, never driving the boat, and have heard it can be much tamer at low water levels. Still, perhaps I should save that for the 'second float' to be on the safe side. :-) Did you hike the boundary trail inside the park?

With this crazy drought year, it's getting hard to find any water that won't involve frustrating rock rubbing!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools