Topic

Anyone hanging a hydration bladder behind the trampoline of a ZPacks Arc Blast?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Anyone hanging a hydration bladder behind the trampoline of a ZPacks Arc Blast?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    OGGWild
    BPL Member

@wickdwarm_n_dry

Locale: Central Ohio

I just got an Arc Blast 60 and have not had it out yet, but I'm wondering if anyone is hanging a hydration bladder on the outside of the pack behind the trampoline of the arc suspension. I have a 2L platy that seems to fit nicely at about two-thirds full while hung with a micro carabiner from the top of the frame. Again, I haven't walked with it yet. In theory it might help offset a negative aspect of the arc/trampoline suspension, i.e. moving the center off gravity away from your back. It doesn't seem to be putting any stress on the frame.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I haven't tried it, but I think it would defeat the purpose of the trampoline back, and would have your water pressed up against you, possibly uncomfortably. I have to pack mine carefully when I have the bear can in it, or the pack contents round out the pack to the point that the trampoline back is neglible.

At the weights most people are carrying on this site, the question of having the weight further away from your center of gravity is not really an issue. Since we aren't carrying 70 pound packs, who cares?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

… but in the space behind my Osprey EXOS 58 mesh trampoline back.

Should work if you make a short cord loop at the top to hook the Camelbak into to support the bladder.

THAT FREES UP A LOT OF SPACE INSIDE THE PACK.

OO! OO! New mod for my pack!

Scott M
    BPL Member

@bluetick-2

Just tried this with a 2018 Osprey Exos 58.  Seems like it would work as long as you don’t have to pull it out to refill. I’ve got a quick disconnect near the drinking port that I connect to a gravity filter so I can refill it in place.  I also placed it so the hose connection is away from my back I don’t think it would work as well with the older exos due to the  location of the hydration port in the pack.  KInda nice that you can easily see the water level of the bladder, makes space in the pack and brings weight closer to the center of gravity.  Will have to see how it effects back ventilation as thats the big point of this pack in the first place.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools