Topic

West Coast Trail Trip Report – June 2015

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports West Coast Trail Trip Report – June 2015

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Just finished hiking all over Vancouver Island and put together a video and gearlist for my 4 day West Coast Trail adventure…it was an absolute blast. It is a great trail if you ever find yourself out there.

Links:

West Coast Trail Video

West Coast Trail Gearlist

Enjoy!

Scott McCain
    BPL Member

@highlander366

Locale: Idaho

Steve I really enjoyed your WCT video and pleased to find your gear list here on BPL..

A group of friends and I are headed to do the WCT in two weeks. Can you give some feedback on your gear list, anything you may do differently next time? Specifically wanting to know how your trecking poles worked out and if you would take them again.

Thank you

Scott

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey Scott,
    Glad you liked the video and gearlist. You are going to have a really good time on that trail. It is super fun.

I am a big fan of trekking poles, and I have had those particular ones for probably 6 or 7 years – rock solid. I love them…go get yourself a pair. I saw very few people who were not using poles, so I would say they will help you out quite a bit.

Hindsight on gear…

I bought a new quilt specifically for that trip as I was missing a mid-range sleep system. It was warm and toasty but I could have used my summer quilt. It was a bit overkill for the weather.

I used a Scarp 1 with the thoughts that I would have wet and windy weather, so wanted something bomber. In reality, the campsites are pretty protected and any ultra-light shelter would have worked, so I could have saved some weight there. Just keep in mind that moisture is a real issue on the trail. If you have lots of rain, coupled with the condensation on everything, it could get miserable.

I had planned to do it in 3 days, so only brought enough food for that, but because the logistics of traveling from where I parked my car and where I started hiking took so long, I got a late start and it added an extra day. You can buy food on the trail, but I was getting a bit hungry for snacks and such at the end.

You could also consider doing the trail in the opposite direction, so you get the hard part over first and end with the easy stroll. Plus, you get the first water taxi out of the way and don't have to time your day as much.

Hope that helps!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools