Topic

Cutting edge rain shells?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Cutting edge rain shells?

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I am not sure that the phrase "Cutting edge rain shells" isn't a bit of a contradiction in terms. Cheers

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Roger, Are you afraid a cutting edge rain shell would shred your spandex pants ?

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

Jennifer Mitol:  You made three posts, but didn’t mention the name of the jacket you were talking about.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Jen was using a Rab Flashpoint

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

ha – i didn’t realize that none of the previous titles of each post carried over.  So that’s going to make quite a few of the earlier threads VERY interesting, eh?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The Flashpoint does look interesting. Thanks for your comments on it.

FWIW, there’s a large Haglofs Gram Comp on eBay right now (new) for $120. Tempting.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Another jacket to consider is the Haglofs Lim III Jacket. It’s 3 layer Goretex Paclite, 8.5oz and has a decently long length (31.5″ center back length).

http://www.haglofs.com/gb/en/Jackets/L-I-M-III-JACKET-MEN/p/602614.2C2

When I choose rain jackets I care about them being waterproof a lot more than breathable. There’s no point in breathing well if the rain comes right thru (e.g. Pertex Shield+). If I can get waterproof + semi-durable + decently long under 10oz then I’m satisfied. I haven’t found it yet.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I managed to get my hands on a brooks range neoshell jacket. It’s light for a neoshell jacket at 13.2 ounces in medium. I’m excited to try it out. What I’ve heard is it has a cfm of 0.5 and a HH of 10,000. I’ve read some people complaining that it isn’t as windproof as goretex, which is amazing to hear that with a rain jacket. I don’t expect it to avoid the issue of the face fabric wetting out and cutting off all air permeability.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools