Topic

Dream Setup

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Dream Setup

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Matt Macaulay
    BPL Member

@mmacaulay1-2

Locale: Texas

I’m 5’10” medium build and used to use a 10-ft Warbonnet Blackbird. I was very comfortable but switched to a Dutchware 10.5-ft. Half-Wit in Hexon 1.0 to save weight. I still have the Blackbird, but haven’t used it in a couple of seasons – the Half-Wit is just as, if not more comfortable to me.

I really like having the option to just push back the netting on nice nights and set up my tarp, but I like to leave it in the snake skins so I can stargaze whenever possible. Doing that made me realize just how much I like sleeping out in the open. I even ditched the tent and now just use a tarp and bivy for places where I have to ground camp.

My first under quilt was a TeWa (no longer in business) 20º Anti-Freeze. I don’t remember exactly, but I want to say it was 38″ wide and 48″ long. I found the length to be ok (I used an sit pad to insulate my lower legs and feet), but it was just too narrow. It would slip off my shoulders when I changed positions and I’d have to adjust it multiple times throughout the night. Now I use the EE Revolt – Short. It’s 45″ wide and 55″ long if memory serves me. The width is more than enough to cover both shoulders and it stays put through the night. The length covers me from shoulders to just above the ankles. I used to think I’d want a full-length UQ, but I’m perfectly content with what I have now. It’s also much easier to set up and adjust when I get into camp.

I use an EE Enigma 30º Regular/Regular and couldn’t be happier with it whether I’m hanging or ground camping.

I’ve always loved to hike, but camping was never my favorite thing. I really never slept well on the ground and I’d be sore the next morning no matter what sleeping pad I used. That changed the first time I used a hammock. I carry a bit more weight for my hammock setup than my ground, but I look forward to getting in it at night and I sleep better than I do at home sometimes. Just my experience. Hope it helps.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Thanks Matt. I thought about the halfwit but don’t normally need a bugscreen so might revisit that later but it’s good to know about the 10.5 feet.

Also good to know about the 55″ inch length. I think that might well be long enough. I’m primarily a side-sleeper and tend to fold up a bit so that ought to be enough coverage and on the ground I use the evidently dis-continued xtherm short and no problems with cold feet though I do use the .5 plastazote backpad from my pack.

You probably just helped me trim another 4 ounces or so!

L Lanian
    BPL Member

@lanian

Locale: California, U.S.A.

Since you guys resurrected this thing, thought I’d chime in, show what I picked up in the past two years. Currently running:

• Hammeck Netty 11′ the Meck’s made for me. Few custom mods on it.
    • Running a modified muletape suspension (See: https://theultimatehang.com/2015/04/21/lightweight-hammock-suspension-systems/), with dutchware’s new spider web 2.0 straps and about 8′ of muletape
    • threw a pair of big agnes mtnglo lights in there for fun
    • zpacks asym cuben tarp
    • hammock gear 30 incubator and burrow UQ/TQ combo

And that’s what all my research/ trial&error has brought me to. Counting stuff sacks, etc, I’m at 1710 grams. Most recently nabbed a dutchware chameleon for my wife and we did a double hang last weekend. Once I set up the trekking pole as a spreader bar, it worked wonders (swapped the asym for a hammock gear winter palace for that trip)

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

Surprised no one has mentioned hummingbird. They make really light hammocks, someone between 5’10” – 6’0″ can sleep diagonally in their “single plus” hammock from what I have read. and it weighs 7 oz or so and is less than 100 dollars … I’m 5′ 10″ and have the Single but not the single plus. I cant lay diagonally but it is a shorter hammock than most which makes laying straight a lot flatter than in longer hammocks , so I don’t mind

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools