Topic

Suggestions for a 5 night trip, end of June, reachable from San Francisco, not super-buggy

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
PostedJun 16, 2015 at 1:36 pm

We were planning a trip to Emigrant Wilderness for the last week of the month, but we just called the Ranger Station out there and they told us that mosquito levels are approaching hazmat-suit levels. So we need a plan B for a 5-night trip that we can drive to from San Francisco and that won't be super buggy in a couple weeks.

We just got back from a weekend at Lassen NP, and that was really nice with minimal mosquitoes (though the lack of snow this early in the year is a sad statement on the climate). So I'm thinking the Cascades might be better than the Sierras. It's a longer drive to Oregon than is ideal, but that's something we can do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Gene

Jerry Adams BPL Member
PostedJun 16, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Three Sisters is nice, but kind of far away, but you mentioned cascades

Trinity Alps is closer. Snow shouldn't be a problem. I'm thinking about going down there from Portland except now the snow's mostly melted off around Three Sisters so maybe I'll go there.

PostedJun 16, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Do you have any idea of what the mosquito situation is at Trinity Alps?

Three Sisters is probably too far, but what about Crater Lake?

PostedJun 17, 2015 at 9:29 am

I usually don't experience bug problems in the Alps, can only think of one time where they were an issue. (they were a nuisance in the early morning and dusk)

I haven't been up there since mid April of this year though…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Loading...