Topic

sunscreen packets vs. tube

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) sunscreen packets vs. tube

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

Has anyone done a weight comparison of sunscreen in packets vs in a tube? The packets seem prohibitively expensive. Plus, very limited selection of brands.

I know, this is BPL, and everyone is going to say, hat, umbrella, long sleeves, etc. We do all that, but this is for my toddler who is nordic-pale and won't keep a hat on his head. He always has some extremity that needs the 'screen.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

If its for a toddler bring a bottle..

Kenneth Keating
    Spectator

@kkkeating

Locale: Sacramento, Calif

Just repackage into small squeeze tubes. The problem with the packages is resealing if you don't use all the product in the first application. Purchase the tubes on eBay, do a search for cosmetic tubes 8ml. 8ml tube sizes work out well. On eBay they're typically they're available from China, but they'll arrive quickly.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

I've found repackaging into a cylindrical container is better than a squeeze tube, because it makes it easy to use every bit of the lotion out. Film canisters are apparently popular for this, though I haven't had a such a canister in years. I also prefer something with a screw top lid, to avoid the cap popping off.

I ordered some half-, one-, and two-ounce containers from Amazon which fit the purpose well, though admittedly, you can go lighter than the ones I picked up. So my search may continue, but I definitely prefer the convenience of a vial over a tube.

Another thing that's convenient about a vial: you can mix in a few drops of lemon eucalyptus and/or tea tree oil to act as natural insect repellent and anti-stink. (That advice applies for adults and older children; the CDC doesn't recommend lemon eucalyptus for children under three, and I also wouldn't use tea tree oil on a toddler. I'm offering a tip for BPLers in general which I've found handy).

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It may depend on how much skin is exposed. I cover up and only use sunblock on my face and maybe fingers (depending on gloves used). So, I repackage into black film canister.

Kate Magill
    BPL Member

@lapedestrienne

Ah, thanks! I knew there was a reason I had all those film canisters!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

"I also prefer something with a screw top lid, to avoid the cap popping off."

Just a history lesson. 35mm film canisters used to be aluminum with a screw top cap. Plastic replaced those. I still have a few screw tops in the garage some where

John Eyles
    BPL Member

@johneyles

I just use a wide-mouth 1oz Nalgene bottle. Enough for a 5-6 day trip if wearing long-sleeve short and hat.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I keep one packet in my kit, but scew-top salve style containers work well as they are easy to fill and you can get it all out. The containers I have are 35mm diameter and 30mm tall and weigh 8g. You can get your pinkie right down in the bottom corner. My objection to the packets is the sustainability issue. Same thing with insect repellent.

If you want a heavy duty film-style container, check with anyone who uses a blood glucose meter. The little cans that hold the test strips have a very positive seal and the sides are reinforced, so they are hard to flex/crush.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I like THESE

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

GO HERE

Important thing to remember:
    • Apply generous amounts of sunscreen to dry skin 30 minutes before you go outdoors.
    • Use sunscreen on all skin surfaces that will be exposed to sun, such as your face, ears, hands, arms and lips.
    • If you don't have much hair on your head, apply sunscreen to the top of your head or wear a hat.
    • REAPPLY sunscreen every two hours — and immediately after swimming or heavy sweating.
    • Remember that sand, water, snow and concrete reflect sunlight and make it even more important to use sunscreen.
    • A combination of shade, clothing, sunscreen and common sense is your best bet.

AMOUNT TO USE:

"To achieve the Sun Protection Factor (SPF, which protects against the sun’s UVB radiation) reflected on a bottle of sunscreen, you should use approximately two milligrams of sunscreen per square centimeter of skin. In practice, this means applying the equivalent of a shot glass (two tablespoons) of sunscreen to the exposed areas of the face and body – a nickel-sized dollop to the face alone. If you’re using a spray, apply until an even sheen appears on the skin. Remember that sunscreen needs to be reapplied every two hours, or more frequently after swimming, heavy perspiration, or toweling off. Also remember, no matter how much sunscreen you apply, the SPF should be 15 or higher."

Dr. Hale is clinical associate professor of dermatology at the New York University School of Medicine. Dr. Hale is a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, American Society of Dermatologic Surgery, American College of Mohs Surgery, American Society of Lasers in Medicine and Surgery, and the New York Facial Plastic Surgery Society. She practices dermatology at Laser & Skin Surgery Center of NY, and lectures extensively on the prevention and treatment of skin cancer.

John Eyles
    BPL Member

@johneyles

Seems like these are better – tougher polycarbonate – though much more expensive. Not sure about weight.

alan york
    BPL Member

@alanyork9

Locale: PIEDMONT N.C.

Coppertone Sport stick.Looks like a big chap stick.Also a good foot lube and wind burn protector. If you put it on above eyes it will not burn like most sunscreen.

royo royo
    Spectator

@carbonbl

Locale: PNW

Lately I've been using these little 0.5 oz dermatone tins. Can get them on amazon. The tins are easy to open with gloves, stay closed and are a handy size for short trips, unless you use lots of sunscreen for exposed legs/arms. Kind of expensive but the sunscreen is really high quality and you can refill the tins with more dermatone or anything else bought in bulk.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

AMOUNT TO USE:

"To achieve the Sun Protection Factor (SPF, which protects against the sun’s UVB radiation) reflected on a bottle of sunscreen, you should use approximately two milligrams of sunscreen per square centimeter of skin. In practice, this means applying the equivalent of a shot glass (two tablespoons) of sunscreen to the exposed areas of the face and body – a nickel-sized dollop to the face alone. If you’re using a spray, apply until an even sheen appears on the skin. Remember that sunscreen needs to be reapplied every two hours, or more frequently after swimming, heavy perspiration, or toweling off. Also remember, no matter how much sunscreen you apply, the SPF should be 15 or higher."

Dr. Hale is clinical associate professor of dermatology at the New York University School of Medicine. Dr. Hale is a member of the American Academy of Dermatology, American Society of Dermatologic Surgery, American College of Mohs Surgery, American Society of Lasers in Medicine and Surgery, and the New York Facial Plastic Surgery Society. She practices dermatology at Laser & Skin Surgery Center of NY, and lectures extensively on the prevention and treatment of skin cancer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools