Topic

Smell-Block food bags

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Smell-Block food bags

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Warren
    BPL Member

@aimee-2

Animals eating your food is a problem… from mice to bears. Bear canisters still attract bears. I used to sell circuit boards and used anti-static bags. I have been using those anti-static bags for 12 years to carry camp food and not once has any animal gotten my food. I did not think of selling them before because they are pretty cheap. But they are hard to find. So I have listed them on the LuxuryLite.com website and any BPL member will get two free bags with each order of the four-pack… priced at $19. More details on the website.Smell-Block food bag

J K
    Spectator

@jnk

Locale: PNW

How does the bag close? Also, are the bags easy to fold up? Some of the electronic goods bags are pretty stiff and I'd be afraid of having it tear by too much bending. Great idea, though. I need some new bags.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

These look like the reclosable sandwich bag type. I get them with electronics parts I order pretty frequently, but I've been throwing them out. However, I just realized these would be perfect for my girlfriend to pack out her toilet paper… I'll have to start keeping the larger ones.

Bruce Warren
    BPL Member

@aimee-2

They have a good ziplock closure without that slider (those leak). I have opened/closed one bag hundreds of times. Just pull apart and slide your fingers over to close.

They are about twice as stiff as normal freezer bags and are easy to fold. But you do not want to fold them sharp and do not let them rub all day on your pack or other gear. I put the Smell-Block bag inside a normal kitchen zipbag to protect the coatings. Then they can bounce around all day inside your bear canister. If you use two Smell-Block bags, one inside the other, you have super reliable smell blocking that works even if one bag had an unseen cactus puncture.

Bruce Warren
    BPL Member

@aimee-2

Same things I'm sure. Do a test on your lawn. I have had a bag sitting with cat food in it for two weeks for my latest test. The coons, armadillos, squirrels, cats, dogs and on big Mockingbird have not even notice. I put one bag out last year with one pin prick it it and it was not touched. I put a bag out with a cut about 1/8 inch long and a racoon got all the food the first night, leaving only muddy footprints.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

http://www.packitgourmet.com/CookIn-Bags.html

Best to use food grade bags that do not contain nasty chemicals.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools