Topic

Layering Sleeping Bags?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Layering Sleeping Bags?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Jake
    BPL Member

@trekmore

Locale: Colorado

I am planning on a quick 1 night trip in AZ, Payson or Prescott I am thinking. We may be near water. The temps appear to be at 26 at night, but that is in town, so I could see it being in the teens.

My planned gear
    – WM 35D mummy
    – SD Lightning tent (mesh inner + full fly)
    – full length closed cell foam pad (1/2 inch?)
    – 3/4 inch Thermarest ultralite pad
    – Fleece pants, tops + poly or silk under that

I am thinking I will probably still need something else on top… I have a fleece liner I could cover the bag with, or I could use a emergency blanket (the thick kind silver/orange). I could also put on my Precip rain gear as well… Any thoughts on this on?

Does this sound like it would be warm enough, I would be warmer then another time at 10F in AZ… I think some cover or "topper" on the bag makes sense…

– Jake

mark wucher

@otis24

I've used a 0 Degree Down Marmot mummy bagged stuffed into a 20 Degree Down rectangle bag for temps down to -10F and I was plenty warm. The rectangle bag is big enough not to compress the mummy. The downside is the combined weight is close to 6 pounds with the extra stuff sac you have to carry.

Tim Heckel
    Spectator

@thinair

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs

I've done something similar to Mark, a rectangular bag over a mummy. One advantage to this setup is you can store water and other things you don't want to freeze inside the rectangular bag and they won't be in contact with you inside the mummy.

I did a little math:
    My Western Mountaineering UL weighs 29 oz, of that 16 is down.
    A MontBell Thermal Sheet weighs 14 oz, of that 4.5 is down.
    So, the combined fill is 20.5 oz and the combined weight of both "shells" (nylon, cord, zippers, etc) is 22.5 oz. That's a lot of "shell". For comparison the shell of the WM UL is 13oz.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

Did you think this all the way through?

"In Cold Weather:

Add a tent. Nothing keeps a secondary envelope of warmer air around you like a tent.
    "

Except a second sleeping bag!

A 3 to 5 pound tent is not nearly as warm as a 3 to 5
    lb sleeping bag.

josh wagner

@stainlesssteel

personally i'd probably opt to get a quilt (like stormcrow's burrow) that can have the footbox totally undone, therefor allowing me to lay it on top of my primary sleeping bag. this would allow both pieces of insulation to loft to their max.

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools