Topic

which ultralight rain jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) which ultralight rain jacket?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Which ultralight rain jacket would you recommend?
    Looking for something for summer sierra trips.
    I'm leaning towards the outdoor research helium 2.
    But there is also the marmot mica, marmot essence, mountain hardwear super light plasmic. Montbell versalite?
    Concerned more about waterproofness than breathability.

Not really interested in using the dri ducks jackets. I like to hike off trail and I fear it ripping in half if I slip on some rocks scrambling and snag it too hard on a sharp branch.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I may be in a minority here, but I prefer the same thing in a rain jacket. Mine is highly waterproof, poorly breathable, and weighs about 4.5 ounces. Antigravity Gear.

–B.G.–

Serge Giachetti
    Spectator

@sgiachetti

Locale: Boulder, CO

I've been very happy with my marmot essence after using it close to a year now. Breathability is good for a wpb, its fairly comfortable and stretchy (not stiff and crinkly), and its been surprisingly durable through some bush wacking. Its also kept me dry through a very wet spring in the front range. And one of the wettest days in the mountains I've ever had in indian peaks last fall. For 6.2 oz there's not much more i could ask for. Big mesh backed hand pockets instead of a double fabric chest pocket and pit vents would make this shell even better.

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

I think that the Rab Pulse belongs in this company as well.
    Not stellar, but OK breathability, and resists 2-3 hours of rains quite well.
    Much better hood than the Helium 2.

I have not tested my Pulse pull-on in longer downpours…. but it does not seem it is made for those.

Jason Jamora
    BPL Member

@jjamora

light heart makes rain jackets 6.6oz in a sz medium. been eyeing these myself.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I've been really happy with my Rab Flashpoint so far in our crazy wet Austin spring. The large is 6.4 oz on my scale, has a great hood that actually turns with your head (my chief complaint about OR and Marmot – i really hate it when my head spins inside the hood) and most importantly is a 3-layer jacket, so hopefully the delamination issues with the 2.5 layer will be non-existent. And it feels nice against my skin.

It's a bit pricey, but I got mine on sale and with a campsaver coupon.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

Yesterday in the mail I got my new Zpacks "Challenger" rain jacket.
    http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/wpb_jacket.shtml

I had ordered this some time back, took a while for them to get round to making my order (no complaints, they're up front on that, just an FYI).

Obviously I have zero experience with it, but I will note that the weight is exactly as advertised. This shouldn't be surprising, but too often it's not the case.

I got the options to add armpit zippers (adds 11 grams) and to extend the jacket so that it covers down to just a little above my knees, along with a 2-way zipper. I really liked this latter option, it's what sold me on the jacket: to sort of combine a wind skirt with a jacket. I'm slightly mixed on the result, however, as with the zipper fully zipped it's a little snug around the thighs. I.e., for walking with a decent stride, this might impede? Makes the inclusion of a two-way zipper very important, I might have it zipped up/open a ways at the bottom.

Otherwise it fits well, the hood is generous, and it has the one pocket that I really want (a single left-side vertical chest pocket).

As it's cuben, I expect it will be more waterproof than other rain gear that I've had. My big concern is durability, and in particular at the shoulders under pack straps. I wish manufacturers would build a pack designed for backpackers that reinforces that point just a bit for durability there; perhaps this could be done in a stylish way by someone clever such that it looks like fashion (and not just function).

Anyway, in the current summer-like weather we have in the PNW, I suddenly find myself wishing for a good hard rain to test it out! I guess I'll wear it into the shower.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

The Marmot Super Mica has both pit zips as well as reinforcements around the pack straps. I can't really tell it is more breathable than others, but I do use it for wind and mosquitos more than for rain, which are really more the concerns of summer Sierra hiking. I suspect that pit zips are a more effective feature than an expensive "breathable" shell material. I also like the brow of the hood as it extends nicely. It seems to be on sale frequently.

Stephen Murphy
    BPL Member

@sjtm

+1 on this jacket. In a constant downpour pull out the umbrella or wear a Packa as all other superlight jackets will wet out eventually, especially if rain is pouring off your pack onto your shoulders. But Pit Zips means you won't mind wearing it for extended periods of light rain / drizzle and your internal wicking layers can still wick. This jacket has decent adjustability with a drawcord at the hem and on either side of the hood, plus a rear Velcro hood adjustment that creates a very good fit and allows the hood to turn with your head. The arms are cut to allow good vertical movement as well. And it has PIT ZIPS! Light enough to substitute for a windshirt when keeping your load to a minimum. I wear this with a Zpacks cuben rain kilt and have never been uncomfortable in the rain. If I expect real downpours, I pack the chromedome umbrella as well.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I should probably note that I can get a pro deal through marmot, outdoor research, and mountain hardwear.

Wow, that Rab jacket is expensive but looks really nice. 6.4 oz for a 3 layer is crazy light.

The marmot super mica looks nice but a bit heavier than I was looking for. The plan is too have an ultralight summer jacket and a heavier dedicated rain jacket.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Not a jacket, but I do have Luke's Epic rain pants. About as bomber proof as I've seen in lightweight raingear. Prices are comparable and semi custom fit is possible. I hate short jackets and sleeves. I was able to get exactly what I wanted when I bought my rainshell. I have the Pertex jacket. The oppisite of what you want. It does fit well. You can get it in epic.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Justin- w/ the pro deal, the Helium II is nearly a no-brainer, mine is 6.1 oz in Large and while most of the time it's just sitting in my pack, I've got to use it enough that I can say it performs very well

light (2 and 2.5) layer jackets often have delamination issues down the road, OR will replace the jacket no question- hands down the best warranty around

I use a 3 layer eVENT jacket when the probability of rain is nearly certain, but it's almost double the weight- the Helium gets brought along a heck of a lot more

Mike

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Helium it is, mainly for their warranty and reasonable price.
    I've heard terrible things about marmots warranty.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Late to this party but here goes:

I own both REI eVent and Cabela’s GTX PacLite parkas.

Obviously the eVent breathes better and is more expensive so I end up using it for skiing, backpacking, hunting, etc.I bought it in size XL to fit over my puffy W/O binding or compressing it. 18 oz.

But for training hikes in the rain I use the Cabela’s GTX PacLite parka because it’s “good enough” in the breathability department and a bit more windproof than eVent. It is size L because I didn’t think about wearing it over insulated jackets at the time. Duh!  16 oz.

No they are not “UL” parkas but they DO hold up in brush or in a fall on crusty ski slopes. And I have the matching pants for each parka. There are times when you need them, as in cold winds or Biblical deluges.

I wash them one or two times a year in Nikwax soap made for GTX garments. Then I spray them with two coats of Revivex or Grangers DWR spray. Grangers is supposed to be the best but I see no difference.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Hi! Late to the party, but really I have been using OR Helium II jackets now for several years. I previously had the Montane Minimus which delaminates at the shoulders and neck area after two BP seasons, with limited water. Montane would not replace.

I got my first Helium II and never looked back. On trail and off they perform well in light to heavy rain and I find them very breathable. I commute by bike and never overheat in it.

You can readily find them on sale for end-of-season colors. Hard to find something lighter weight that outperformes at a comparable price.

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

I’ve been happy with this: http://ultralightinsights.blogspot.com/2016/04/gear-review-berghaus-vapourlight-hyper.html. It has kept me dry in some heavy rains. It seems breathable enough, too.

Kief H
    BPL Member

@kief

Locale: Eastside Sierra, Downeast Maine

I got the Rab Flashpoint a couple of years ago partly based on Jen’s recommendation in this thread. I’ve been really happy with it, and the performance has been superior to Gore-Tex shells I’ve used in the past. And the hood, as she mentioned, is stellar.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

From the OP: “Concerned more about waterproofness than breathability.”

I agree with this sentiment. I got frustrated with WBP shells being neither particularly waterproof or breathable and they tend to come with either a weight or durability penalty.

Mechanical Ventilation > Breathable Membranes

I’m quite happy with my LUL silnylon rain shell. It’s 4.6 ounces in a size large with adjustable wrists and really nice pit zips that extend far down the arm to get ventilation without interfering with shoulder straps.

I also like my 20D Packa which provides amazing ventilation by floating over my pack and shoulder straps. The look is ridiculous but the function is wonderful. 8.4 ounces after swapping out the burly shockcord and cord locks for something more rational.

It’s unfortunate that Luke seems to be having trouble filling orders currently. If I were purchasing a new rainshell today I would likely purchase from AGG or Lightheart Gear.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools