Topic

Anyone know any BSA troops in the NYC Metro Area looking for used trad Camping gear donations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Anyone know any BSA troops in the NYC Metro Area looking for used trad Camping gear donations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Richard Mock
    BPL Member

@moxtr

Locale: The piney woods

Anyone know any BSA troops in the NYC Metro Area looking for used trad Camping gear donations. I have a nice Snow Lion winter sleeping bag, a Lowe Alpine Expedition Backpack some Sigg pots and a bunch of smaller stuff that is too good for the trash that I will never use. I have an allergy to post offices here so it would need to be dropped off or picked up. Just a shot in the dark. If not BSA than to anyone who would use it, but the stuff is trad therefore too heavy for our members.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Hi Richard,

When I was in the same boat I contacted my local BSA Council office. Not knowing me from Adam they weren't gonna connect me with a unit (youth protection guidelines) but I dropped off the stuff with them and got it to those in need.

NYC council can be found here: https://www.bsa-gnyc.org/

Jay L
    BPL Member

@jjlash

Can also go to BeAScout.org, choose Boy Scouts, punch in the zipcode and see nearby Troops on a map. You can contact them from the page. There is also a link to their webpage (if they have one).

Richard Mock
    BPL Member

@moxtr

Locale: The piney woods

Thanks

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

If you're looking to give for the benefit of those who may have a greater need financially than the average boy scout, try http://www.sierraclub.org/atlantic/nyc-ico

"New York City Inspiring Connections Outdoors (formerly Inner City Outings) (NYC ICO) is the Sierra Club's community outreach program for children and adolescents who face the challenges of growing up in New York's inner city areas. We're a 100 percent volunteer organization working to provide young people with outdoor recreational opportunities, leadership training, positive group experiences and environmental education, while imbuing in them a love of nature and the outdoors."

These are kids who may never have seen a tree that wasn't planted by someone in an urban setting, a wild animal (rats and cockroaches don't count) or a real night sky. I haven't donated my time to this organization but have friends who have and do, and the stories of how it affects these kids' lives are very moving. They have chapters across the country.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools