Topic

Taking It Up a Notch: Camp Fire Teens Face the Weather at Guadalupe Mountains National Park

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Taking It Up a Notch: Camp Fire Teens Face the Weather at Guadalupe Mountains National Park

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Cool trip Mina! I love that area and it was fun to see pictures of places I've been. I liked your ideas for non-backpacking fun like the sandhills, I'll bet those kids remember it for a long time.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

Luke, thanks for your comment. Youth trip reports aren't likely to spark controversy leading to a lot of posts but I do hope folks get a chance to read about it anyway. And maybe it will inspire others to volunteer for the next chance to take some kids out. Even if it is just family and friends. We have another group going out to Pecos Wilderness at the beginning of July. That's where we usually go with the beginners for their first mountain trip (unless it's closed for fire). I have some other folks leading that one this year. We wouldn't have this program without the volunteers.

One thing I didn't put in the article that later I wished I had: During the evening we camped in the cold rain, with everyone just trying to warm up, the three girls in the Haven 2 spent a long time just singing–folk songs learned from grandmother, favorite pop songs, whatever. They raised their own spirits and everyone else's. Teenagers are so awesome.

Mina

Laurie Gibson
    BPL Member

@lagibson

Locale: Northeast

Super enjoyable trip report! Thanks Mina.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

That was a great trip report, Mina!

This being BPL, you very well may have stirred up some controversy with that comment about "teenagers are awesome…"

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

"This being BPL, you very well may have stirred up some controversy with that comment about "teenagers are awesome…"

Dear Jen,

With all that energy and exuberance and creativity? I'm sure even the fabled curmudgeons on BPL will be with me on that one!

: )

Besides, we all know the marvelous effects the outdoors can have.

Mina

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools