Topic

Pecos Wilderness snow update and route suggestions

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
PostedJun 8, 2015 at 6:38 pm

A friend and I are planning to take an extended weekend trip to Pecos starting June 18th, and I hope someone can give me an update on snow conditions. We are unfamiliar with the area, so I'm basing my potential route on the other recent Pecos threads here – Lake Stewart and Pecos Baldy Lake areas, if Pecos Baldy lake is accessible.

Does anyone have a recent report on the snow level there?

My friend will be taking his dog, so we have to stick to things dog-suitable (I imagine post-holing would suck if you were a dog, but I really don't know).

This trip may be a nutty idea – leave Houston (what, 40ft above sea level?) Wednesday evening and drive through the night (14hrs plus stops). Arrive Cowles (8200ft) around 10am, maybe nap, and then head out to Stewart lake (10,200ft).

I'm open to any and all route suggestions anywhere in the area.

Thank you.

HkNewman BPL Member
PostedJun 8, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Drive-wise you'll have to budget about an hour off I-25 at the Pecos or Glorietta Pass exit and have the freshest driver take over. Some winding roads especially after Terraro but there's plenty of scenic parking areas north of Pecos. I'll be there a day or 2 after you but probably sticking to the Pecos-Jacks area. Personally expect some lingering, maybe heavy, snow drifts but it's been rain through the NM mtns.

PostedJun 13, 2015 at 6:49 pm

I've spent some time with Caltopo, which is pretty impressive. Looking at the recent Modis images, I don't see much snow. The resolution is low and I don't have much experience with it, but it looks green up to around 11,400 ft.

Here's the map: http://caltopo.com/m/6T53

HkNewman BPL Member
PostedJun 21, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Started melting fast but there's still some lingering snow. A heat wave has made made it a bit muggy (some actual chaff – bring shorts as I had to stop early), but fire danger is low. pic of some lingering snow yesterday but pretty high

Snow condition June 2015 Pecos

Greener as I've seen in awhile so my suggestion is just go before thunderstorm season. Also watch those times on locked gates (lock between 2200 and 06 to deter vandalism on vehicles).

Ed: add label

Galen Benson BPL Member
PostedJun 22, 2015 at 7:09 am

Steven according to your caltopo map it looks like you took the old Windsor trail (261) that was abandoned by the forest service from Cowles to Stewart lake. Did you use that trail and if so was it in good enough shape an eight year old could handle it. Thanks.

PostedJun 22, 2015 at 7:53 am

Galen, we did not go out to Stewart Lake. Since the snow has almost completely melted, we did the following:
Day 1: Panchuela trailhead to Jacks creek area northwest of round mountain via 288 and 259 (Dockweiler). These trails were in decent shape but were still challenging as we had just driven in from sea level.
Day 2: jacks creek to baldy lake via 257 (jacks creek trail). Then summited east baldy peak and returned to the lake for the night.
Day 3: From the lake we went north on the skyline trail (251) for a while and had lunch, then returned to the lake along 164. 164 has been abandoned and we had to do a lot of sidehilling and there were some treacherous bits getting to the pass. However, between the lake and the pass, 164 is fine and the pass is the best place to see sheep. Then we came back down jacks creek trail to 25 and worked our way back over to Panchuela.

Sorry I can't give you specific info on your route, but from our experience on this trip, I would be inclined to avoid any abandoned trail with an 8 year old.

Galen Benson BPL Member
PostedJun 22, 2015 at 9:23 am

Thanks! Glad you had a good trip. We're heading up Friday for a long weekend

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Loading...