Topic

Mountaineering gaiters for long/skinny legs?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Mountaineering gaiters for long/skinny legs?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    royo royo
    Spectator

@carbonbl

Locale: PNW

I'm fed up with the fit of my OR Verglas gaiters and need a better fitting pair for mountaineering/alpine climbs. I have fairly long and skinny legs and the Verglas gaiters in medium were simultaneously too short (did not stay above the calf muscle) and too baggy. Can anyone recommend a mountaineering gaiter that would work well with that body type? Bonus points if it has a better top closure than the flimsy buckle on the Verglas.

I only use gaiters for mountaineering/climbing with significant snow, so looking for something with some crampon protection but otherwise lightweight. The Verglas were nice in that respect. I usually climb in uninsulated Salewa Raven boots- I imagine if I start climbing in conditions that need a heavier boot I'll have different gaiter requirements altogether.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

BD Frontpoints are nice and slim fitting. Not super tall, but mine don't sag.

royo royo
    Spectator

@carbonbl

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give those a try.

Will Elliott
    BPL Member

@elliott-will

Locale: Juneau, AK

they are very trim

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

BD Frontpoints are indeed nicely patterned and trim.

With that said, OR Crocs are still my go to pair.

r m
    Spectator

@rm

Albeit only have used my phantom guides for a week but still. They were a pleasure. Less faff. More effective. Quicker. Warmer. It was great. While I have yet to fall into a semifrozen stream, I think they'd have kept my feet dryer than more traditional options.

But, you'd need new boots..
    https://www.scarpa.com/phantom-guide
    http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain/batura-20-gtx
    http://www.thenorthface.eu/tnf-eu-en/p88347.html?_ignore_category=1

royo royo
    Spectator

@carbonbl

I used the BD frontpoints climbing Mt Olympus over the holiday weekend. Much better fit and cinching hardware than the OR stuff. Minimal sagging over the course of a 17 hour summit day. Probably a little heavier than the OR verglas but I think they are keepers. Great recommendation, y'all.

The integrated gaiter boots do seem like the best solution. Maybe I will explore getting a pair when I start climbing in colder/higher altitude conditions.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools