Topic

MLD Solomid Interior Options

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Solomid Interior Options

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Interested in feedback from Mid users about their experiences and preferences for interior approach. The approaches are

1] Nothing, sleeping bag/pad directly on the ground or on light groundsheet like Polycryo
    2] Internal net/pyramid tent
    3] Bivy

I would really like to go with option 1 for the simplicity. I am interested to know what you use and why. I suppose a further elaboration of option 1 is the groundsheets like the zpacks cuben groundsheet that provide a bit of a bathtub effect which may be useful at times and could clip into internal loops provided on many Mids including my MLD solomid.

David Ure

@familyguy

Personally, I like using a bivy under a mid. UL ones with netting around 7 oz are nice insurance against bug pressure plus add some warmth to your sleep system. It will also act as your ground cloth so on a net basis compared to just using a ground cloth you are adding something less than 7 oz with the bivy (maybe 4?).

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

I like a net tent wayyyyyy more than a bivy. They can be similar in weight with the net tent being a few oz heavier tops.

My net tent from SMD weighs 7.9oz in a stuff sack! That is a great weight. It is very nice to sit up in the net tent and read, change clothes etc. In a bivy thatss impossible unless you unzip then mosquitoes will eat you.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

i have yet to understand the preference for a bivy when they pretty much weigh the same. I mean, my MLD solo innernet is 6.7 oz – and most bivies i see are that same weight.

So what's the plus side??

IVO K
    BPL Member

@joylesshusband

Locale: PA lately

Extra warmth.
    Adds 5 to 10°F to your insulation.
    Stops wind better than net tent.

I'm not a big bivy proponent, however I use bivies, as well as a net tent, and each has its place, depending on the conditions you are about to encounter.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Winter – mid with bivy.
    Summer – mid with bug inner. I also use bug inner only.

I live in the east with the bugs. Out west, I might even just do mid with sheet.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools