Topic

Weekend Surprise

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Weekend Surprise

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Kyle Purcell

@dufus934

Locale: North Texas

This past weekend, me and some of my buddies who are new to backpacking ventured out into the woods and had a much better time then i was expecting. This was no epic journey, but it did have some bushwhacking. We were hiking in some of the Ozark Nat'l Forest near the southern edge. We were near Spainhour Falls, but that wasn't our destination. We hiked along an old four wheeler road for about three miles and then bushwhacked up a creed bed for another mile and a half. We camped along the creek and had an amazing time. There were what would have been a lot of waterfalls if there had been enough water in that area. However, it was still an amazing site even without the water. All the leaves were changing or had already changed and the colors were awesome! The only drawback to the trip was that the two people who were suppose to bring cameras (yes two) both forgot, so i have no proof of this great trip. I will surely be going back to this place after we get some rain, so that i can see the waterfalls and how beautiful they really are. If anyone wants a sort of long day hike (because of the bushwhack) or a pretty short overnighter, this was on page 132 of Tim Ernst's Waterfall Guide (every hiker in Arkansas knows what I'm talking about, everyone else google "Tim Ernst Arkansas" and you'll find his books).

All in all it was a perfect trip and i got to introduce a few people to backpacking and we are already planning another overnighter for next weekend.

The only bad part of this trip was that two people wanted to sleep under the stars, but about 3 am, it began to rain (there was zero chance of rain when we left, but it's Arkansas and weather is crazy here) and they had to huddle next to a tree half of the night and a small fire for the rest.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools