Topic

What’s your top 3 rain jacket picks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What’s your top 3 rain jacket picks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tony Fleming
    BPL Member

@tonyfleming

Locale: Midwest

Help a weary traveller out. I've been all over the web trying to research Event Rain jackets, and getting very tired. What are your top 3 rain jacket picks? I need a new one for Christmas, and my wife wants to order it now. Also, let me know if I need to size up or down when ordering.

Thanks,

Tony

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Integral Designs eVent jackets ("regular" or Thru-hiker for additional length) – size up.
    S.

Kyle Rosenberger

@kyler55

Locale: Greater Yellowstone

Rab Drillium

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

1.Integral Designs Thru hiker
    2.3,none.
    Size up if you are between sizes.

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

Don't own one, but if I were buying eVent I'd get the Thru Hiker. On sale for $229 at back country gear.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

OK, eVent it ain't but very breathable it is.

Try the Cabela's GTX Pac Lite parka (& pants).
    At $79. each plus shipping these items are the best value I've found. But the low price still gives you very high quality and nice features. Cabela's Chinese tailors are just as good as NF's or Marmot's. Hee,hee

Also Cabela's return policy is exactly the same as REI's.
    Bring it ack anytime for a full refund.

Eric

Pedro Arvy
    BPL Member

@pedroarvy

Locale: Melbourne

This is my 2 cents worth.

If it's really raining, you are going to get wet from water coming in from your neck, sleeves etc. I would go with the lightest jacket you can find which will be near half the weight of the ID jacket.

Sierra Designs isotope Jacket is only 6 oz

Outdoor Research Zealot Jacket is 7.7 oz (more durable)

The ID is 11.25 oz

David Thul

@thuldj

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I would highly recommend the Mountain Hardware Quark.

It weighs 284 g (10 oz for you non-metric weight weenies) I have not weighed it myself so I can not vouch for the weight's accuracy.

It is full featured- 2 outside pockets, 1 inside & pit zips. It has held up well, has proven to be very breathable and of course the pit zips help.

The sizing is accurate if you ask me, I wear a med and have a 42 in chest, am 5'11" tall and weight 180lbs. I can wear the shell and a puffy Golite down vest without compressing the insulation.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

My favorite rain jacket was a DIY modified Frogg Toog which is no longer available.

I think I would have loved the ID Thru-hiker if it had been longer in the hem. If you're wife wants a good deal on an unused size large Thru-hiker in forest green have her get in touch with tme!

I now mostly use a Montane 8oz Hydra-lite smock which fits me really well, is plenty waterproof, but not as breathable as eVent or Propore…

My Dri-Ducks had seam blow outs on their first trip (both the jacket and the pants), and this in spite of them being plenty roomy enough. If not for that, I would have picked Dri-Ducks as my fave.

An eVent rain jacket cut with the montane Hydra-lite pattern would be my ideal…

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Montbell Peak Jacket, 11 oz size Large – the material is an eVent-type material that is nearly as breathable and it's a good value, especially if you can get it on sale. My only complaint is that I prefer rain jackets on the longer side and I'm 6 ft tall (so I can walk without rain pants in warmer weather) – the Peak is longer than most other jackets including almost all the lighter eVent jackets I've checked out, but I'd love it if it were 2 inches longer. I don't think the Integral Designs Thru Hiker is as long as it seems, but not 100% sure as I've not tried one on. I'm going off measurements ID once sent me.

That said, the only eVent jacket that I saw online that is on the lighter side (for eVent that is) and looked like it might be long enough was the Rab Drillum. Kyle, how long is it in the hem and what size do you have? How do you like it?

Unfortunately eVent is not a lightweight material and it's not easy to find light eVent jackets with good coverage, especially if you are taller.

Eric Falk
    Spectator

@zerolimit

Allison Miller, please contact me. Your profile doesn't allow pm's or e-mails. I'd be interested in purchasing your size large id event thru hiker if it's still available. Otherwise I'm going to take a shot with the C&C outdoor store sale for $212. Just wanted to double check with you before I ordered it elsewhere. My e-mail is [email protected] Thanks in advance, Eric

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools