Topic

Adding a cinch cord to the hood of a down jacket?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding a cinch cord to the hood of a down jacket?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

Loving my new Stoic Hadron Anorak—except for the lack of a cinch cord on the hood.

It would be great if I could add one to it. Has anyone else modified their down jacket hood this way? Any tips/strategies?

Would it work to buy some thin shock cord, fold the edge of the hood over it and hand-stich it down (I'm intimidated by the sewing machine), then put this little bits of plastic (forget what they're called – like on the DriDucks hood) on the ends of the cord?

Alternately, I'd pay to have some in in Portland, Ore. who knows how to work with this sort of stuff do it for me. Any recs for that?

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

If the edge of the hood is finished with piping (like a lycra edge) you can just open a small section of the stitching at the bottom of one side of the hood opening and use a very small safety pin that you poke through the end of a bit of fine elastic cord and inch-worm the safety pin through the lycra piping all the way around the hood opening. Open a little of the piping seam at the other side of the hood and pull the safety pin/elastic cord out, add some cord-locks, and voila, you are done threading the elastic all the way around. It is a little tedious and can take a number of minutes to advance the safety pin the whole way, but it works in many cases. I did this recently to my wife's puffy.

James Cahill
    BPL Member

@dmatb

Locale: Norf Carl

Thanks Philip, that's a good idea. I want to do this as well, but was hesitant about sewing another channel over the piping because I didn't want to loose the inherent elasticity. I'll give this a try!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Another option is to sew another layer of piping or bias tape around the edge. That way if you mess up or don't like it, you can remove it.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools