Topic

AT supported record attempt – Scott Jurek

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Speed Hiking and Fastpacking AT supported record attempt – Scott Jurek

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Hmmm… not sure that would work, Ian.

Too easy to fiddle with the formula.

Some smart@$$ could just get a monstrously heavy pack, never go on a hike (or "camp" in his backyard), sit at the keyboard (tapping into home network wifi) and troll all day and win the title.

One can never underestimate sluggards. :^)

Back OT, I hope Jurek makes it.

I was thinking today about how they handle the logistics for the 100-mile Wilderness. Maybe somebody goes in halfway and sets up a comfy camp for him.

I couldn't in my wildest dreams fathom doing one day like he does, yet he's doing a month and a half of them straight… mind boggling.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

Ian, how would you score Bismarck?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I started the AT last year, but I'm still in Portland. What's my score?

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

"I was thinking today about how they handle the logistics for the 100-mile Wilderness. Maybe somebody goes in halfway and sets up a comfy camp for him."

not really that remote. you can get in there by a few different roads. not sure exactly the distances between them but they will have access in there.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

Is NOBO considered harder because there is more climbing in the last section?
    If so, it could also be a good strategy. If you have overuse issues when running 50milers day after day after day, climbing can be easier on the body. Not easy energy wise, and you would need to account for lower mileage for the more climbing days of course when planning. Regardless I guess he wouldn't expect to cover the same distance in the latter section. Hope he makes it.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
    Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

Nobody starts a FKT for the AT going SOBO in the spring really so snow and flooding is not an issue on a normal year. They start in mid to late June when the days are at their longest. Secondly, I don't think Scott will tell you that he's gotten stronger in the northern section. The lead he had on JPD has nearly vanished due to his recent 29,30 and 31 mile days. He's walking 23-24 hours straight just to get those numbers out right now. Part of that is due to hiking road to road where he has no choice but to hike so long.

In contrast, look at JPD's final 10 days of hiking. She struggled in New England of course, but then crushed the home stretch. Scott struggled in the South and is now struggling in New England. The only thing that may save him is the huge miles he put up in the middle section. Just imagine if he started SOBO and had a crew set up similar to JPD.

"Is NOBO considered harder because there is more climbing in the last section?"
    – Yeah. Steeper climbs and much more rugged terrain.

Ryan

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

"Is NOBO considered harder because there is more climbing in the last section?"
    – Yeah. Steeper climbs and much more rugged terrain.

Ryan"

Thanks.
    One other thing against more technical terrain is you can't go on auto pilot as much as with an easier, simply hilly terrain.

A 100 miles is not easy in the late stages. Mentally it must be very tough, all the more so if you have to pay much more attention in the more difficult terrain.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Ian, how would you score Bismarck?"

Well, as you know, his style is Bat $#!+ Crazy Ultralight which shouldn't be confused Sluggard Supa Slow. Two completely different sports altogether.

for BSCUL, the formula is a bit more complicated.

(Total miles hiked between murder and apprehension * BSC Style Points) / Years Imprisonment.

So for Bismarck, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he through hiked every year for a decade so that's 21,000 miles.

Surprisingly enough, only 6 out of 10 style points. In fairness to him, it's not easy to earn style points and you have to really go full Buffalo-Bill-I'd-****-Myself to get a full 10 out of 10.

Unfortunately we can't calculate Years Imprisonment for Bismarck until he's not only sentenced, but the appeals process is complete. But, the clock starts at the time the cops put the cuffs on him so all his pre-trial time counts.

But it gets trickier. If he were to get the death penalty or get prison shanked, and die prematurely as a result, we'd calculate years imprisonment by subtracting his age at time of arrest from 79 which is the average male life expectancy in the US.

George F
    BPL Member

@gfraizer13

Locale: Wasatch

The heaviest ruck on the trail might even get some media attention, they seem to love that angle. Of course you you have to prove you can lift it and put it on by yourself, otherwise it becomes a supported hike, which is a real can of worms when you are going for slowest/heaviest honors.

Derek Larson
    BPL Member

@derek-larson

Locale: La Sierra Gorda

I've been tracking Scott Jurek's progress on his FB page. It sure is going to be close if he's going to break the FKT of JPD. I must admit, I hope he doesn't get it, mostly because he's been getting way too much support on the trail in comparison to what JPD had. He seems like a great guy though.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Running World:
    Jurek is still on record pace, but elite ultramarathoner Karl Meltzer, who joined Jurek’s crew for a portion of the trail in June, told Newswire over email that it is going to be close.

“If he breaks the record, I'd say it'll be by less than five hours,” Meltzer said.

So it is anyone's guess …

Sunday at 5:15 ET is the deadline, atop Mt. Katahdin.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

A hair over 2 days left with ~100 miles to go. Something like 45mpd to break the current record. Looks like he's got it! Maybe not by much, but a new record none the less.

Ryan

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

While I am truly impressed with Matt Kirk's unsupported record, I am still blown away with Scott Jurek.

And so… He did it: 46d, 8 hrs. He broke it by just over three hours. Way to go, Scott!

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/07/12/outdoors/scott-jurek-aims-to-shatter-appalachian-trail-speed-record/

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

To me, his pace during the mid-Atlantic of 50+ mpd for three weeks was the most physically impressive. However, his last 4-5 days were a jaw dropping example of mental toughness. I think he only had something like seven hours of sleep the last three days with another 2-3 twenty hour days days before that. Only a seasoned veteran could be that mentally tough IMO. Congrats Scott.

Ryan

Phillip Asby
    BPL Member

@pgasby

Locale: North Carolina

I did not think he would do it – with his early injury and deficit with harder trail ahead…

But he pushed when he needed to including a big mid atl push that was really something.

And I didn't start the thread to ignite a "slow versus fast" debate – I did state that I don't really go to the woods to race but I do cycle and have done some races so in spite of not being a natural endurance athlete I have a ton of respect for those who can do what he just did.

Quite an accomplishment and done by a guy who is another fortysomething like me! Take that all you whippersnappers out there! :)

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

"Quite an accomplishment and done by a guy who is another fortysomething like me! Take that all you whippersnappers out there! :)"

On top of that, just last week we had a 40 yr old set the FKT for summiting all Colorado 14ers. So it's been a good week for the geezers :)

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

I accidentally reported this thread, thinking I could write a note requesting it moved to Speed Hiking / Fast packing forum.
    No abuse report intended.

Hi Ito

Ah well, I moved it anyhow to our newly-created Speed Hiking channel. For general information: it was Ito's pushing which made this whole channel happen.

Cheers
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

^ Hadn't seen that edit – cheers.

About Scott Jurek's AT attempt, just came across this almost 1 hour interview from irunfar.com

YouTube video

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

Thanks for posting that interview, Ito! very cool, and very timely for me.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools