Topic

John Muir Trail gear suggestions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) John Muir Trail gear suggestions?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Eve Baker

@ejbaker

I hope this isn’t off gear topic, after writing the question, I wasn’t sure, but have no idea how to transfer this to another list so apologies if so: I’m usually a solo hiker, but I’m hiking the high peaks section of the JMT for the last part of August (19th-29th), with a group who intend to end hiking by 4pm daily–which means much more sitting around than actually moving. I usually pack for constant hike, mode–stripped down to sports bra/shorts/sneakers/hats/mittens–get up early, make camp late–and this is optimum temp. control At night I have a 15 degree wm down bag, frogg togg type jacket, light cashmere sweater and silk turtleneck–which, again–with socks, rain pants and hat, can keep me warm enough for most weather. But with ending early and sitting around, I’m flummoxed about what to bring on the JMT in August. Does anyone know what temperatures go down to, generally speaking, at 12-14,000 ft there? My only high peaks experience is on the Colorado Trail during monsoon season. Weather was not always comfortable (august monsoon) but it was never cold enough to be a problem. I’ve looked at the PCT sites, but can’t find any up to date temp. info. Should I be considering bringing my micropuff vest or pullover? Or anything else extra? When I move, I stay totally warm–when I stop, I freeze (low blood pressure and Reynauds) but it’s never been a problem when I’ve had complete control over my own hike–this time is going to be different and not knowing the group well, I want to be prepared.

Thomas R. Conroy
    BPL Member

@trconroyearthlink-net

Locale: Sierra

Eve,

Re: night-time temps along the JMT, check out the following site for Bishop Pass @ 11,972-ft. elev. http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesonet/getobext.php?wfo=hnx&sid=BSHC1&num=48
    Have a great trip!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools