Topic

Oatmeal haters arise and be heard

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Oatmeal haters arise and be heard

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Locale: Utah

I doubt I'm the only one here who finds this vile and disgusting glop to be unpalatable.

Who else has to seek other options for breakfast?

Here is the best recipe I've ever found for oatmeal:
    1) Prepare oatmeal
    2) Bury it in a deep hole
    3) Be thankful you didn't actually eat that "stuff"

:)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Oh yeah, count me in. I'd rather eat a 1/4 sized dinner for breakfast ;-) Or soup and crackers. I oatmealed myself out long ago!

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I've never been able to choke it down. I'm apparently very sensitive to textures as there are a number of foods I can't stand because they feel weird going down. Oatmeal is definitely one of them. (Don't ask about my picky eating habits, that could be its own thread!)
    Usually for breakfast I just have a Clif Bar or the like. If I'm feeling like indulging I'll bring a bagel and some PB. I don't often eat breakfast at home anymore so eating it on the trail is mostly just to keep the calorie intake up.

Adam

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I actually am actually fond of oatmeal. Particularly good with chocolate chips :)

–mark

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

:-D

Oh yeah, I do like my oats in big soft cookies!

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I doubt I'm the only one here who finds this vile and disgusting glop to be unpalatable.

You have never been really cold and hungry.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

One of my all-time favorite foods!
    I try to avoid it on the trail though, the trail has a way of turning you against your old favorites.

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

If you eat the instant American Quaker Oats stuff then of course you're going to hate it… it's not much different than shredded cardboard or papier maché. Try steel cut Irish oatmeal, (like McCann's) though, and you will really taste a difference. That's the way oatmeal is supposed to taste.

I also like to eat Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain Hot Cereal, because it has a nuttier flavor and can be cooked in just 5 minutes (though I prefer it cooked for 20).

I have the same recoiling reaction to instant rice, potatoes, and noodles… though when you're far away from civilization and you're trying to go light you often don't have a choice.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

When I was writing the cookbook I made the decision that it wouldn't be one of those books where it tells you to add a dried fruit combination to instant oatmeal (so many backpacking cookbooks do that)… in fact there isn't one hot cereal recipe in the book that includes oatmeal.

I prefer things like couscous or quinoa… but Scottish/Irish oatmeal is much more palatable than the instant stuff that North Americans try to pass off as oatmeal. The rolled oats we get here (not the instant stuff) are good for bars and cookies and that's about it.

Steel cut oats are really good though – my Mom is from Auchinleck so the Scottish oatmeal was something that was a staple in our house.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I agree the instant oatmeal can be bad. You don't have to go to the full steel cut oats however for improved taste. If you get the regular oatmeal that needs to cook for 5 minutes it's way better than the instant oatmeal, both in taste and texture. Also, I find that if you add oatmeal to cold water and then boil it, it comes out kind of gooey. If you boil the water first and then add the oatmeal it comes out much better.

David Wills

@willspower3

you also dont even need to cook it. i don't cook it because not only am i lazy in the morning, but i think it tastes better. throw some cold water, Nido, 5 min oatmeal, and lots of your favorite sweetner (honey, fruit, sugar) you have a good lazy breakfast without too many ingredients. its similar to breakfast cereal but takes up less packspace.

not to steal the thread, but does anyone have a suggestion(s) a breakfast cereal that is low volume, cheap, and doesn't get to crummy in your pack? It would do well to replace the normal cold oatmeal which despite sweetener, is still only palatable. I would like something like cheerios, but they take lots of room and have lots of cereal dust. thanks!

J Her

@sailfast3r

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I do a 50/50 mix of instant oatmeal and meusli. Sometimes add chocolate chips or a small bits from a larger bar. If the instant oatmeal is not flavored I've also added a spoon of sugar or powdered drink to the ziplock bag to help. Depending on meal selection or the planned route, I've also added a spoonful of protein powder (Soy or Whey protein, usually the vanilla flavor tastes the best)

Artificial sweetener (Equal, etc..) does not taste too good when added to oatmeal, stick with real sugar or brown sugar.

X2 on the boil water, then add oatmeal.

Another cold weather breakfast is Quick grits. Decent, good on carbs and I throw in a dab of margarine and pinch of pepper into the ziplock before heading out. Again, boil water and add the grits, then the marg will melt.

edit; On cold cereal ideas. I've done the granola with powdered milk and never had good success. I would rather eat the dry cereal and then make powdered milk seperately.

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Roger – Big assumption on your part isn't it?

Linsey Budden

@lollygag

Locale: pugetropolis

All my life I've loved and lived off oatmeal so I can't relate, but how about granola? My recipe is fantastic, but expensive, and really stays with me when hiking.

6 cups (really thick) oatmeal (uncooked)
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1 cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup soy protein (Trader Joe's is inexpensive)
    1 cup powdered milk (non instant is best–non-fat or whole)
    1 cup grapeseed oil
    3/4 to 1 cup honey
    1 cup chopped dried cranberries
    1 cup golden raisens
    1 teaspoon + salt
    Stir together all ingredients except dried fruit in a large broiler pan. Bake at 275 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes and adding dried fruit for last 10 minutes of baking time. Spread out and cool, then store airtight.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Dave – in regards to your question about cereal that does crush. A sturdy granola is good and I find that homemade trail bars are a great way to get the cereal/grains without the fuss.

Muesli stands up really well too.

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Clif Bars, Zone Bars, left over dinner is all good.

I like Oat Bread, oatmeal cookies, Scottish oat cakes, lots grain items.

As a former USCF & NORBA bike racer I ate a lot of pasta for breakfast too. I have no problems with that to this day.

It is just Oatmeal that gets the gag response from me.

Brian Macari
    BPL Member

@bgmacari

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

It is interesting how some folks are so food centric. They seem to live for food! I go out for other things. The food is really just calories to me, mere fuel. I prefer my instant oatmeal with a tablespoon or so of hot water right in the bag. No muss no fuss. Perfection. Don't leave home without it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Brian….to me food is why I exercise ;-)

Kevin Sawchuk
    BPL Member

@ksawchuk

Locale: Northern California

With apologies to Laurie, I love the non-instant Oatmeal (Quaker cook 5 minute type) with some combination of added Trader Joes orange flavored cranberries, sunflower seeds, walnuts, cashews, raisins, brown sugar, salt, chocolate chips. I always add powdered milk or a flavored protein powder. This can be cooked but I typically eat it with either cold or occasionally hot water added. It's chewy and with the additions and somewhat less processed oats quite flavorful.

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

lol – my words about rolled oats might have been harsh – I ate so much of it as a poor university student so that is part of my dislike – I think it is the instant oats that I have more of an issue with

your combination sounds sort of like a muesli to me Kevin and quite delicious (I will confess that I do have a muesli recipe in my repetoire :) ) – I love the idea of the orange flavored cranberries – especially with the chocolate component and sure wish we had a TJ's up here.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ocean Spray makes a couple flavors of Craisins, one of which is orange.
    Btw, for those with TJ's down the road, they are selling organic dried cranberries now.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hey Sarah,

I got the idea to use the coconut cream powder from your website. That stuff is great. I'm not a milk drinker and find the coconut cream powder is a good substitute. Sometimes I add it to hot oatmeal.

Sometimes I even add it to uncooked (5 minute) oatmeal or muesli mix with some cold water and let it soak a bit. It's surprisingly good.

Ian Schumann
    BPL Member

@freeradical

Locale: Central TX

Something I tried this summer many times, and an appealing alternative to good old granola, is Hudson Bay Bread. Many different recipes available online. This stuff is definitely not bread–the stuff I eventually was preparing for myself after trial and error through the summer was basically just a bunch of trail mix type things baked into a buttered, honeyed, peanut-buttery BRICK. Full of protein, fat, and sugar. Very dense, not recommended to digest without water . . . but then, if you want to go light that's generally a good thing.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Last summer when my friend Mike was off doing a solo trip in Alaska, I met him at the airport in Seattle (he had a 24 hour layover from CO) and plied him with a couple packs of coconut cream powder on the way there. When he got back he said that he loved the stuff. He hadn't realized how much fat he burns through, and that the ccp went with so many meals (savory or sweet). 9 grams of fat per serving is why I love the stuff!

It honestly can make oatmeal edible to me!

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)

Hey, why so harsh? I love the stuff!

Below is an excerpt from an article (on this site) titled GROOVY-BIOTIC COOKING

(link)
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/quick_healthy_meals_with_an_ultralight_cook_kit.html

Oatmeal

My nutritional guru, Mary (Howley) Ryan, has this to say about oatmeal: “Oatmeal shouldn’t be underestimated as a source of protein. One half cup of cooked oatmeal has 6 grams of protein, an egg has 7 grams. The egg is a complete protein, and the oats require some other amino acids, and much of these can be achieved with the addition of nuts and fruit in the oatmeal mix.”

3 cups rolled oats (or spelt flakes)
    1 cup chopped almonds (I use a food processor to chop all the nuts)
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1 cup chopped cashews
    1/2 cup golden raisins
    1/4 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 cup powdered milk
    1/4 cup protein powder
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 tiny splash of almond extract
    pinch of salt

Put all the dry ingredients in a big mixing bowl and stir it up. Then add the only wet ingredients (the almond and vanilla extract) and stir it into the mix. All done!

Often, I’ll go through my kitchen and add other things that I may have around. Things like granola, dried cherries, sunflower seeds, etc. For non-vegans, add powdered milk.

This mix can be eaten cold with cold water (nice while on the trail) or hot on a chilly morning. Put some in a mug, add a little water, let it sit for a few minutes to soften up the oats – and EAT!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools