Topic

looking for safe hydration tubing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear looking for safe hydration tubing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Elleyne Beals
    BPL Member

@tahomus

Locale: Not usually at home.

i am looking for replacement hydration tubing. i have been using clear "non-toxic" tubing from the hardware store, but it keeps developing a white powder on the inside. despite it's "non-toxic" labeling, i'm wary of using it anymore. we use our water sacks 200+ days per year, so purity is an issue.
    i bought some silicone tubing from mcmaster's (as recommended on this form for water filtration system), but it fails as a hydration sack tubing, because it collapses when making the 180* bend out of the backpack. it's also soft and was abraded by the pack where the tubing went across the barbs of the cap fitting.
    i looked around the mcmaster's site and they have many types of tubing, but i can't figure out the right type for water, and the right stiffness so it won't collapse. anyone have any ideas? thanks!

Andrew Richard

@fairweather8588

Locale: The Desert

HomeDepot/Lowe's usually sells "food grade" tubing. I used 1/4 size to make a kegerator, and the same pliable tubing will work in your system. It can be purchased by the foot.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools