Topic

A NEW OPTION FOR UL STOVE FOR SCOUTS…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Backpacking Light with Scouts A NEW OPTION FOR UL STOVE FOR SCOUTS…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Lee
    BPL Member

@scoutbuff

Locale: Colorado

There has been much discussion on the use of UL homemade stoves and the prohibition by BSA. I just came across an Esbit stove (not the folding metal box type) that appears to meet everyone's needs… lightweight (0.4 oz, inexpensive ($15) and within policy (commercially made).
    Esbit Folding Stove
    http://www.amazon.com/Esbit-Ultralight-Folding-Titanium-Tablets/dp/B002AQET2C/ref=sr_1_3?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1432929331&sr=1-3&keywords=esbit+stove

Pair it up with one of the many MYOG aluminum wind screens and everyone should be happy! Maybe I've been living under a rock… Anyone have experience with it? Thanks…

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Those have been around for a while, the ESBIT wing stove. Here's a review from 2011. Nothing wrong with it, but you do need to play with the windscreen a bit to get an efficient set up.

Something like a Caldera Cone (or it's titanium cousin the Ti-Tri) comes with a commercially produced minimalist stove and a pre-tuned, highly efficient windscreen.

And there are others.

So, I guess the good news is that there are a number of commercially produced UL ESBIT burners.

HJ
    Adventures In Stoving
    Hikin' Jim's Blog

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

" Maybe I've been living under a rock… Anyone have experience with it? "

Yes, I would go with the rock theory.

Although it really calls for a windscreen, you can get by with a large piece of heavy duty aluminum foil, at least for several days. It is also a good idea to put a small piece of foil underneath it. When you break camp, you fold this burner as shown, and then wrap your aluminum foil around it.

–B.G.–

Daniel Lee
    BPL Member

@scoutbuff

Locale: Colorado

+1 on rock theory… Thanks for the feedback. I'm trying to get the boys thinking of lightweight, cheap options and MYOG stoves just don't make the cut with BSA…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools