Topic

X Wing quick universal Tent porch

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
PostedMay 29, 2015 at 9:46 am

A very quick project and cheap simple porch for a £20 tent from a local supermarket :)
9000hh 180g taped seam.
Here is the link to the sizes, need to download and zoom in, prints nice on A4.
Click Link Here

1

2

I used it to try some new things,

Taped seams using a home iron, using a PU tape on PU coated fabric, I was amazed at how well this works, very easy to do and a very strong bond. Will be taping seams in the future.

3

I usually use sew-all thread, but want to try some backpacks so started using Guttermans Tara 60 thread. Well impressed, silky smooth, I needed a microtex 80 needle, higher tension needed, have one bobbin set up just for this thread now. I really like this thread, much stronger, but does sit higher above the surface of the fabric.

7

Then wanted to try a new seam I have been working on. I have had a few problems with flat felled seams on very slippery fabric, so I came up with this one, similar to flat felled but a bit stronger, and only half the number of stitch holes open to the rain. the bottom stitch row is hidden just under the fold. This is very easy to construct with difficult fabrics. Seems to be working great.

4

5

:)

jimmy b BPL Member
PostedMay 30, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Gary, I suspect some may not have the patients to wait for your pictures to open on the forum. I'm guessing they are large files. If you want them to open quicker you can send them through a free software program such as PIXsizer found on the web. Real easy and you may get more responses to posts.

Just a friendly thought,
jimmyb

PostedMay 30, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Ah ok they pop up straight away on my phone, i will photoshop them for slower connections.
Thanks.

todd BPL Member
PostedMay 30, 2015 at 2:26 pm

Nice Gary!

And man, you sure sew a straight line!

d k BPL Member
PostedMay 31, 2015 at 12:39 pm

This looks very interesting but I must confess I am somewhat at a loss to see exactly how this is constructed, from the diagram and the pictures. I'm assuming tie-outs at each corner, and that it fits over the peak of whatever shelter you use it with. But *which edges are sewn/taped to which other edges*? I'm assuming the quadrilateral in your diagram is cut separately from the 2 triangles then attached, or are the two triangles attached together somehow to form the quadrilateral (seems less likely, but I can't tell for sure)?

Could you please provide that assembly detail (within * *s) for a puzzled dummy like me? This looks like it might solve my one complaint about my Lightheart Solo shelter, that I can't open the door during precipitation without getting some inside. Worth a try, anyway.

PostedMay 31, 2015 at 2:47 pm

In the diagram the image on the left is the sizes of the finished tarp complete, the line going through it is the seam.

The two triangles on the right joined together make the tarp on the left.

There are two triangle to fit on a standard 150cm width fabric.

The sizes include seam allowanced for a 1.5cm rolled hem around the edge and a flat felled seam down the middle.

d k BPL Member
PostedMay 31, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Aha! Thank you – now I get it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Loading...