Topic

Wind River conditions this year

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
PostedMay 29, 2015 at 7:22 am

Can anyone comment on how the conditions and weather are looking like at the Winds this year? I'm planning on a week-long loop taking in the Titcomb Basin this summer. With the screwy weather this year (at least out here in California) I'm wondering what the expectations are for the Winds. Is late July safe for avoiding much snow at the passes, or should I wait until August?

Thanks,
Gene

Brian B BPL Member
PostedMay 29, 2015 at 9:40 am

I don't know about this year. And I don't know if this will be helpful or not but during the last two weeks of July last year the snow was fine — a little but not a problem with no need for traction devises or ice axes for Knapsack Col (above Titcomb) or anywhere else that I ventured. Though to be fair, some people going over Knapsack may have felt better with an ice ax — these are subjective issues. But, this is actually my point: the mosquitoes were terrible. I would do whatever it took (work arrangements, skipping a friend's wedding) if it meant I didn't have to go through that again — too pretty of an area to be running through it.

You could try checking snow data for May 29, 2015 against May 29, 2014 and see if they look similar but big dumps in June happen (including in 2014).

Kris Sherwood BPL Member
PostedMay 29, 2015 at 3:37 pm

In comparison, we were there in mid-August in 2013 and didn't see a mosquito in 8 days

PostedJun 21, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Bumping this thread in hopes that someone could comment on current snow conditions/rainfall in the Winds. I'm planning on heading out the second week of August and am concerned about the mosquitos. Anyone know what the conditions have been this past winter/spring? If the Winds have received as much rain as we've seen in north TX I might need to think of a new plan.

Bob Bankhead BPL Member
PostedJun 21, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/628169920546691
That is the CDT 2015 group. You may have to join the group to read; definitely to post.

"Dan Stedman
June 15 at 4:21pm

Through the southern Winds to Pinedale, consistent snow above 10500' or so. Lots of river crossings no deeper than (5'2") LiteBrite's waist. Definitely safe, empty, and gorgeous.
We took ley's red rte but the cirque is definitely possible."

"Porter Storey
June 21

Wind River Range snow levels are now about 10,200 ft. I did not need snowshoes or crampons, but navigation, post-holing and river crossings were challenges. Picardin 20% was effective for the mosquitoes. Big Sandy Lodge was a lovely and welcome respite. Bear sign was obvious so keep your spray handy!

Wow, what a magnificent part of the world"

Michael K BPL Member
PostedJun 23, 2015 at 11:53 am

Gene C……it sounds like if your loop was involving the standard root from Island Lake, then it should not be a problem, since it's an easy hike of non-technical terrain with the only "highish" pass being before Island lake where you will likely encounter patches of snow. Then, you will likely find larger patches of snow on the trail in Titcomb Basin itself in early July, so in early July camping in the basin could be on snow. Now, if you plan on entering Titcomb on a non-standard route (off trail)like Bonney Pass, you're gonna need technical gear and you will encounter lots of snow. I plan on heading up to the Winds on July 3 and hiking for a month and I would really like to know if the passes leading from the west to east side are going to be passable in early July (I plan on using Wall and Angels Pass and faller if things are really grim, since it's the least technical one besides Hay pass which takes me way off route).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...