Topic

Closest to a Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat without being a Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Closest to a Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat without being a Sunday Afternoons Adventure Hat?

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Check out the new ultra adventure hat.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-sun-hat-for-hikers/

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

After nearly a year and a half of use, I find the SA Adventure Hat still offers the best sun coverage for the weight of any hat I’ve ever come across. That said, two weaknesses:

1) The plastic wire in the brim should be a bit stiffer. The brim constantly curls down at the sides and we have to do our best to roll it up in our hands in the other direction to straighten it out. Curled down at the sides it provides simiilar excellent coverage but can limit peripheral visibility.

2) The thin layer of material at the top of the Adventure Hat is right up against your head, whereas Boonie and Tilley style hats with a crown have air space between and around the top of your head and the hat. That air space in the latter style can keep your head cooler in very hot sunny weather than the Adventure Hat.

I’ve seen the Tilley cape attachment that sits on top of hat crowns but I believe the cape would shift around and even if it stayed in place, the coverage wouldn’t be as good as a cape closer to the neck. There is a Tilley that has a cape close to the neck that tucks away, however the brim on that Tilley is much shorter than the brim on the SA Adventure Hat. I’d love a Tilley with a full 4 in. brim all-around with a tuck-away cape close to the neck.

Note that the SA Ultra Adventure Hat has a shorter brim than the Adventure Hat and won’t provide the same sun protection.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

@Richard, I’m not concerned about looking ridiculous in the backcountry, evidenced by wool WWI surplus pants and suspenders I proudly sported on fall and winter trips early in college – at $5 perfect for a student budget. However, I’ll sometimes combine backpacking/hiking with town and urban travel and business meetings and try to take gear that can pull double duty. Some clothing items scream gullibe tourist, such as the SA Adventure Hat, screaming-loud neon trail shoes and neon-colored jackets. I’ve traveled in some places where it’s best to keep a lower profile, and other times, while looking very touristy won’t bring criminal attention, it will result in much higher prices for food, taxis, etc. For those situations, a modest traditional-style hat works better.

The Ms. and I once did a test in a souk overseas. With her hat on the starting souk prices were nearly double.

Zack Freije
    BPL Member

@oldskool

Locale: Ohio

What I use:

OR Sun Runners Cap (81 g/ 2.9 oz)

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools