Topic

JMT Start in Mid September? Lyell Canyon?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning JMT Start in Mid September? Lyell Canyon?

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Charles M
    Spectator

@cmortimer

Thanks Matthew and Lester – yep Matthew, you are probably correct re backtracking.  We would not do anything like that without checking with rangers first.  Frankly that’s why we usually stay out of Nat Parks for backpacking – the need for so many regulations – like bear canisters..  I know the regs are there to protect us and the trails, and allow us a better trip – and that the need is due to the large number of folks that use, or want to use the trail – like me!  But the JMT has been on our list for many yrs – decided we better go before we all get too old :-)   And there are so many Wilderness designated areas like the Wind River Range that are spectacular backpacking areas – without all the rules, and without all of the crowds – especially if you can go in Sep/Oct.

Now back to the topic of this forum – haw can I lighten up my pack? :-)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Bear canisters are not a national park specific thing.

Not all national parks have increased restrictions or regulations for backpacking. For example, in sequoia and kings canyon national parks you can camp anywhere in the backcountry and even have campfires in certain areas at certain elevations. Or in Joshua tree you can get a self serve permit with no quota and just take off and camp where you want. Some other parks are more restricted in getting permits and designated campsites. You wouldn’t be gaining any backpacking related value by avoiding national parks other than the Yosemite bear canister rule.

Charles M
    Spectator

@cmortimer

Thanks Justin – yep – probably just my experience with Tetons, Yellowstone and Smokies.  I need to get out more and visit spots like Joshua Tree – my daughter has hiked all over those parks and says they are beautiful.

Francis DeRoos
    BPL Member

@fderoos

if you would prefer to go in late aug/early sept, another option is to go NOBO and while the permits through whitney are all gone, I left from horseshoe meadow which is a day or 2 south of whitney and then connected up with the JMT.  It’s an extra day or 2 in the sierras so it’s an additional bonus.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Matthew, I have never heard of any concept like “backtracking” for Yosemite and SEKI permits. Certainly many PCT hikers switch up sections and directions all the time. The more important concern might be that there is no such thing technically as a “JMT” permit. Rather, each permit lists a start and end date, and a start and finish location. They ask that you fill in the locations and nights you believe to be likely, but it is (almost) totally free-form after that, I do not believe that you actually must hit the dates and locations at all, so long as you are along the correct general path (in Yosemite they sometimes do tell you that you can not camp certain places, strictly because of a quota). In this case, I am guessing that a permit out of Lyell assumes the start location is Lyell, and assumes going south. A second permit of Happy Isles to Tuolumne, or vice-versa, will be required. That’s not “backtracking”, that would be going some place not listed on the original permit. Perhaps I am missing something here?

Charles M
    Spectator

@cmortimer

Our JMT permits starting from Lyell/Tuolumne are for Sep 13 and we have decided to just head south from there!  We’ll be there a couple of days early so may just day hike out of Happy Isles up Half Dome, then drive back to Tuolumne and start the JMT – with packs.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools