Topic

Six Packraft Loops in the Bob Marshall Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Six Packraft Loops in the Bob Marshall Wilderness

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Stephanie Jordan
    Spectator

@maia

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

Thanks for the report. :)

Every time David C. posts about packrafting or bikepacking, I am more and more intrigued. Just need to put together the money for my own.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Awesome report Dave, it was a privilege to visit a few of those spots with you last year. I'm hoping to take my brother down the South Fork this year. I'm thinking the White Wall Traverse will be the best one for him because he also loves alpine hiking. Oh for the record the wind is blowing in that picture on the Danaher, I'm not that fat!

Dave P. you should definitely save up for a raft they are awesome and you have some cool place to raft up there. Actually I'm heading up to B.C. this summer for a trip. If its on the way I'll happily let you play with my raft.

Ivan Dominguez
    BPL Member

@idtejera

Locale: Canary Islands

This article is a wonderful gift, very very good.
    Thank you very much Dave
    Warn Regards.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Thanks Ivan, hope you and the family are doing well.

Ivan Dominguez
    BPL Member

@idtejera

Locale: Canary Islands

We have had some problems this year but we're fine. This year we can not travel to Usa but I hope to meet again soon with you in the Montana Wilderness.
    Thanks
    Cheers

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

On the list of terms I never expected to see on BPL, "Csíkszentmihályian flow" was toward the top.

Nice article!

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

Nice article Dave, thanks!

Really hope to do Numbers 2 and/or 3 someday . . . . Looks like great fun.
    Dan

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Thanks Dan.

For anyone who's looking to get started packrafting, attending the American Packrafting Association Roundup next month is highly recommended. The Swiftwater Rescue course still has openings.

http://www.packraft.org/American_Packrafting_Association/Packraft_Roundup.html

There are quite a few packraft rental companies these days, though they seem to book solid for the summer quite early. Plan ahead.

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

Thanks for the tip Dave. I've been looking forward to this event in order to actually sit in a packraft and see what it feels like. Unfortunately, it looks like the main events are on Monday and Tuesday; blasted work getting in the way of the important stuff again!

At least I thought I would participate in the one-day water safety course on Sunday, just for general knowledge; although it looks like it might be a bit awkward not owning a packraft to bring along for this. Or a helmet. Or a river knife. Hmmm. I'm guessing if I show up with the proper clothing and don't ask a lot of annoying questions, they might let me in?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Dave – Your article has inspired me to look into one of your loops in the Bob for my 2016 trip out west. (I already went to New Mexico last month and am going to Alaska later this year – so my vacation time is gone for 2015)

I have never done any packrafting and want to plan my perpetration. I have a nice flat water lake five minutes from my house that I can practice in and some "front country" day trips that I can do in class 1 and 2 water (and even class 3 and above) and I would want to get comfortable in that type of situation before I get into the backcountry in a packraft.

What sort of gear do you recommend for these trips? I assume the Yukon Yak style boat with a cruiser skirt over an open boat like a scout?

What are your thoughts on helmets for day the BobWhite loop? Are they a necessary item? Personal preference? Not needed? On class 2-3 river rafting trips I have been on they are not worn, but a packraft would be less stable and they might be needed.

What are your thoughts on foam PFDs vs. inflated PFDs?

Note: I hold you and BPL harmless if I were to go up there and get hurt.

What about splash pants/jacket? Do you recommend just using your rain gear for these or would that be insufficient?

I am thinking of trying to pick up a used boat and paddle in the next year and practice next spring to be ready for the trip.

Btw- it doesn't have to just be Dave, just looking for some experienced people in the area.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Bradford, my usual packraft-specific gear for a summer trip in the Bob is a Yak with a cruiser deck, 4 piece paddle, simple foam PFD (you can get decent ones for 40 bucks), inflation bag and repair kit, 2 6' lash straps (with ladderlocks), and raingear. If the forecast looks a little on the cool or wet side I add a fleece shirt or vest. That's it.

I don't like paddling specific splash gear because it's heavy and sucks for hiking. An exception is a nice neoprene waistband on your rain pants, which helps keep out leaks. I added one to a pair of side zip Goretex pants.

I like the security of the foam PFD. I have a goofy little inflatable snorkeling vest, but pretty much bring the foamie all the time.

I'd bring a helmet and throw bag if going through Three Forks and Spruce Park on the lower Middle Fork, and maybe a farmer john wetsuit if the weather was especially cool.

Much of the time on sunny days (like this past weekend on the South Fork), I'll just be wearing board shorts and my windshirt (more for sun than anything). Raingear might go on if you're floating right from camp in the morning, but it often is warm enough by 11am you won't need it again until late.

I should say that folks who run colder might disagree.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Thanks for your help, it helps me verify what I need to get started. Is fall/winter the best time to pick up a used raft/paddle at a decent price? I assume demand is highest in spring and summer.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

From what I can tell whenever you see what you want come up is the best time to buy used. Demand for packrafts seems to only be increasing, and the used market hasn't really come down in price in the last few years. Alpacka expanded production last year, and Kokopelli came on the market; both raised prices over the winter and none of that seems to have impacted market capacity in the least.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@ericbullgmail-com

Hi there –

I’m going to be in the area in late August / early September. Any thoughts on whether which/any of these routes is floatable then?

Thanks!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Eric, it really depends on how the rest of winter and spring go.  In 2011, after an exceptional winter, the Middle Fork was doable from Schafer down all the way to Labor Day.  In a more normal year I’d restrict late August floating to the South Fork below the White River, or even Big Salmon Creek.  Everything else is too low.  I used to think the South Fork below Big Salmon was always floatable, but going that stretch over a long day this past fall at 280 cfs changed my opinion.  350 would be my minimum.

I’d humbly refer to my packrafting guidebook, which has a flow chart for exactly this purpose.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools