Topic

Modifying GG shoulder straps

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
PostedMay 25, 2015 at 9:15 am

I have a Gossamer Gear Kumo and, like many, it is perfection except for the shoulder straps which are way too wide, causing pain on my collarbone and rubbing on my neck.
I emailed GG regarding the cost of a modification and I'm told it's $50. I don't have that kind of money right now, so I want to modify the straps myself.

I'm really not sure what the best way to go about the process is, as I really don't want to mess up the pack.
I know I can start by marking the places where it's too wide, but from there, is it just a matter of cutting and sewing the edges?

Does anyone have experience with something of this sort, and can offer me any advice?

:)

Valerie E BPL Member
PostedMay 25, 2015 at 11:05 am

I mean no disrespect, Virginia, but modifying shoulder straps is not a project for a beginner seamstress. Sloppy seams will rub on your skin, and you'll wish you still had the "unmodified" original straps.

The best way to do it would be to remove the straps from the backpanel, turn them inside out, trim the foam to the dimensions you need, then trim and sew the mesh to match the foam, turn material back to its "right" side, slide the foam back in, then re-install the straps to the backpanel. NOT easy!

Wait and save up, if needs be, but send the pack to GG for the mods.

PostedMay 26, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Are the straps formed or are they like my old G4 where you were supposed to stuff foam pieces (or socks) inside? If it's the foam pieces, you can just cut the foam pieces thinner and curved for a better shape.

PostedMay 28, 2015 at 9:00 am

I actually emailed the woman who does the shoulder strap modifications for GG, and she told me the no-frills way she cuts the straps.

Piper, the straps are formed. :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Loading...