Topic

Condensation fix for single wall tents ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Condensation fix for single wall tents ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Roger,
    you could start with a theoretical outlay and keep the testing for a later date. I still feel there's a huge gap in knowledge about what repellents are, how they function based on composition or way they are integrated on/in a fabric, why getting durability is a problem, what properties of fibers/yarns/fabric weave influence durability and effectivity, should some (current or future) fabrics offer better performance, … What are these nanorepellents and similar and how do they differ from from standard water repellents and most importantly why shouldn't we exspect them to be any better over time? Environmental concerns or public health are other points of interest. Or care instructions.
    May we exspect to see repellents that keep on beading al day long, day after day?

A real comparable test seems pretty difficult to me at this time because some treatments are not available on consumerlevel so you would have to test complete garments and at that point thre are so many variables, it's hard to distinguish what you're testing. And personally, I feel that such a test would show little significant differences between treatments over the midterm or longterm: all inadequate.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Tom

> you could start with a theoretical outlay and keep the testing for a later date. I still feel there's a huge gap in knowledge about what repellents are,
    Wow … Yeah, true, but it would be a big task. OK, noted.

> why getting durability is a problem
    This I can briefly answer fairly simply. For a start, the polymers used at present are soft, and abrade off. Secondly, it is all about the *surface* of the polymer, and the surface can be contaminated with dirt and sweat so easily. Sweat is what killed the first version of GoreTex (Teflon without the PU film over it).

> Or care instructions.
    This is also easy enough. You must use something like the Atsko Sports Wash to wash these fabrics. Ordinary detergents leave lots of residue which actually makes the situation worse, not better.

Yeah, there is plenty there for an article. A very long article!

Cheers

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools