Topic

My first ever MYOG pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My first ever MYOG pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

Needs some work…but I'm pretty happy with it considering I learned how to sew yesterday.
    Harness system is based on UD Fastpack 20, Pack body and vest straps are made of one continuous piece of black silnylon. Pockets are grey silnylon, and I used a piece of thin shockcord for the closure, with a small flap pocket over the top which I still need to figure out how to fasten down and add a zipper or velcro to close the pocket. Also need to add sternum straps and a better system to attach the vest straps to the pack body – currently they are just attached by 3" silnylon scraps which are not adjustable. Total weight so far is 2 oz.

This is really just an experiment/prototype but if you have any suggestions let me know. Final version will be used for fastpacking, hopefully 10-12 lbs max weight. I want it to be comfortable for running downhill, and have easy access to food, water and everything else i need during the day without taking the pack off.FastpackBack

Valerie E
    Spectator

@wildtowner

Locale: Grand Canyon State

I think you'll be happy you learned to sew — SO handy for making/modifying gear!

A couple of suggestions:

– If you're planning to run downhill with the pack, adding some sort of waist strap (just a thin piece of webbing, not a "hipbelt", per se) will prevent the pack from bouncing around too much. Bouncing packs are annoying and uncomfortable.

– In your final pack, you might find that using spacer mesh as the backing for the vest straps (instead of the silnylon) will be a lot more comfortable, and will slide around less on your body. Silnylon is really, really slippery.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools