Topic

Permethrin

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Permethrin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

If this has been discussed in prior threads please forgive me. If permethrin treated clothing is worn in the water does it come off the clothing enough to harm fish and aquatic life. I kayak rivers and often have to wade a bit. Thanks

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

I just found on the sawyer website it does not come off clothing in quantity great enough to harm fish. If anyone knows different please let me know.

Matt V
    BPL Member

@mv45

Locale: Colorado

I think I read that a lot comes off in the first washing, but after that the amount that washes off is significantly less. I considered using it for my caving gear, since access to caves in the Southeast often involves bushwhacking with a lot of ticks, but I decided not to because I was afraid it might be harmful to the delicate aquatic ecosystems in caves. Outside a cave I wouldn't worry about it as much, but if you are going somewhere that's particularly sensitive it would be a good idea to wash the gear once after treatment before use.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

That sounds like sound advise thanks Matt

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

You can send your clothing to Insect Shield to have it treated for ~$10 per item (they offer quantity discounts).

According to the IS research page after 70 washings the treatment remains between 80.8-96.7 effective against mosquitos (depends of species) and 95.8-100% effective against ticks. Obviously this is their marketing, but it is "EPA-registered to last through 70 launderings". I have IS treated clothing that is 3 years old and still repels flying/crawling insects like when it was new.

My guess is that it doesn't wash off…not into the laundry water, not into a stream, not onto you in the rain. As always…make up your own mind as to how to treat your clothes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools