Topic

Predator Fishing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Predator Fishing

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

I know tenkara and Orvis are popular with backpack-fishers in the States, but what about predator-fishing (eg. walleye and pike)?

I am thinking about picking up the Daiwa Kiyose SF for fishing in the river, but pikes can be a real bugger in the lakes. Can't count how many time I ended up getting a pike on the line because it ate the trout.

I know some reported having caught pike and lake trout on a tenkara rod, but isn't this one area where it's better to go a little bit beefer?

I have been looking at Shimano Catana CX which seems to have okay performance and transport length of 45 cm for 1.65 m (89 g) or 56 cm for 1.8 m (105 g). From what I can see people have caught Zander and Pikes on the Catana CX 180.

But I found these two:

Nissin 2 Way 450 ZX
    Daiwa Kiyose 53M

Anyone had personal experience with them? And how are they with trout fishing? I am a bit tempted to go with the Catana for the versatility of catching Brooks and Pikes.

Disclaimer: I've never owned a tenkara rod before, but been reading about it for awhile now.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The 450 zx is too light IMHO.

The 53M will handle big fish, but you'll need some strength training to get ready for all-day fishing.

Carp

Fishing with the 53M starts at ~ 1:40

Don't know how a pike runs, but this will give you an idea about capability.

Anonymous
    Inactive

" know some reported having caught pike and lake trout on a tenkara rod, but isn't this one area where it's better to go a little bit beefer?"

A lot depends on how big the pike get where you're going to be fishing. I did a lot of pike fishing growing up in Northern Michigan. We used 5' casting rods and old style casting reels with 30# test line. This was a perfectly adequate rig for Northern Pike up to ~4'/20#. The thing about pike is that they will make a very powerful series of initial runs when you set the hook, and the key is to let them run against the drag and not try to bring them up short or horse them in. The risk, of course, is that by letting them run you will give them time to hang you up on some submerged object. Fun and games. I have never used a Tenkara rod, but I would have serious questions about using a relatively short fixed line that does not allow the fish to make tose initial runs and gradually expend their energy before trying to bring them in. Back to my initial remark, a lot will depend on how big the pike are, but if they get up in the 4'/20# range, I think you're going to be in for a rough time
    with Tenkara gear as I have seen it discussed here on BPL.

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

On average, they are about 5 to 15 pounds. 20 lbs are not uncommon. Biggest one I caught was in Northwest Territories up near Great Slave Lake and that sucker broke the rod. Think it was about 35 lbs. Good thing I was good at handlining with a pair of gloves.

The record on that lake was about 60 lbs. But that was the only time I seen one which was more than 20 lbs.

Actually, now that I think about it, Lake Trouts are the bigger problem being 40 lbs on average, and up to 77 lbs. Even though the Internet recommends using wet flies… I never caught one on a casting rod– only a deep rigger. But to be honest, they are a cold-water species and by time summer rolls around, they go deep.

So, yeah, the only species of concern below the alpine zones would be pike and walleye.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"So, yeah, the only species of concern below the alpine zones would be pike and walleye.

Bass may not get "big", but they are feisty.

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

"Bass may not get 'big', but they are feisty."

Wouldn't know. The only other fighting fish I can compare to, other than pike and walleye, would be graylings.

Our government is actively trying to destroy them. But the sportsmen keep bringing them up from the States in buckets. Good thing they only really managed to settle in some of the warmer waters in British Columbia.

R Y
    BPL Member

@rhyang

I have one of these rods, and have caught rainbow & brown trout to about 17 inches on small nymphs and dries. As a trout rod it seems fairly beefy.

I've also caught bass and sunfish, though nothing huge, perhaps a couple of pounds max. I did manage to break one of the sections while doing something stupid trying to clear a snag after a sunfish dived into some dense weeds (smart little guys :) Chris aka Tenkarabum mailed me a new part promptly for a reasonable fee. It's great for tossing sinking brim flies, foam dragonflies, small clousers and so on, though I prefer a fly rod for poppers.

I plan to start flyrodding for carp this season, but with a 7-8wt :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Biggest one I caught was in Northwest Territories up near Great Slave Lake and that sucker broke the rod. Think it was about 35 lbs. Good thing I was good at handlining with a pair of gloves"

Now imagine that one on a Tenkara setup. I don't care how beefy it is, you'd very likely bust up/lose some gear, or dislocate your shoulder trying to hang onto it. You'll have a plenty hard enough time handling a 15 pounder of a Tenkara setup with that fixed line.

"Even though the Internet recommends using wet flies… I never caught one on a casting rod– only a deep rigger. But to be honest, they are a cold-water species and by time summer rolls around, they go deep."

Yes, Mackinaws are a deep water fish in my experience. We used to troll for them deep
    in Michigan.

"So, yeah, the only species of concern below the alpine zones would be pike and walleye"

Northerns will definitely put up a much better fight, but if you're fishing for the table, walleyes are by far the better eating fish. They are generally considered to be one of the finest eating freshwater fish around, as is their close cousin, the lake perch. Northerns are good eating, too, but they are full of really fine bones that can be sort of tedious to deal with, unless you are into eating with your fingers. Like me. :0))

Dave P
    Spectator

@backcountrylaika

So, it seems like I will pick up two different rods then: a telescoping spin-casting one, and a Japanese rod.

Just need to do some research to see if there is any other alternative to the Catana CX more suitable for backpacks. The rods I have right now don't really go into the ruck very easily.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools