Topic

Colorado Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Colorado Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Locale: Front Range, CO

I have next 5/29-5/31 weekend set aside for a trip. I was thinkin the high elevation section of LCW west side but with the recent snow, I may have to change locations. Since I just got new gaiters, I don't mind some patches here and there but I don't want to be snow bound.

Can anyone recommend a route or location? Here are my parameters:

-3 day, 2 night
    -not more than 4 hrs drive from Den/ Boulder
    -between 15-30 miles
    -any skill level
    -not too much snow

OR, will the west side of LCW be fine? Im not too interested in the east/ lower elevation portion.

Thanks!!!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I don't mean to bring you down, Gordon, but your timing might suck. It's looking like this storm pattern could linger on till the end of the month. Right now the only place I see that isn't getting much moisture is Santa Fe. Moab, Grand Junction, and the San Juans are all getting some of this weather. The Weather Underground only predicts 10 days out, and your weekend is a few days after what they are showing me. So who can say…?

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Thanks Gary.

After goofing off at work and spending the last 3 hours searching online instead of working, I have chosen go to the Santa Fe area. Pecos Wilderness looks pretty sweet. I am really excited for this. Now I just need to find a route and all the maps, ect…..

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks!

Mazen al
    BPL Member

@mazenmath

I have the same situation, anyway, I posted a thread, you may wanna take a look at.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

I think I may be going to Horseshoe and Lost Lake near Taos/ Red River, just north of Pecos Wilderness. I'll summit Wheeler Peak if not too much snow. The weather is in the upper 60's now and the forecast shows it to be until the end of May. Even in the upper 70's Friday the 29th! Crossing my fingers.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Taos%2C+NM

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

LCW:
    I wish people would not assume we all know what their abbreviations mean.
    There are people on this web site from all over the world.

Billy

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

Hmm…let me see.

I notice that this a thread call "Colorado Suggestions".

The OP (original poster) is using "LCW" as if it is a common, well known term (e.g. AT, PCT, CDT, USFS, BLM, NPS). But I am not sure what the term may be???

Hmm..if only there was a well designed, searchable and easy to use tool to decipher such a thing?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=colorado+lcw

:)

Being serious, I read websites such as Reddit that also has nomenclature that I am not not necessarily familiar with right away. So I more or less use the method I posted above.

Perhaps it is my upbringing, but I tend to like to find out things for myself. Esp if the person is using an unknown term in such a way that it seems a common term. On a backpacking website, with a Colorado specific subject no-less, LCW is not too esoteric IMO (look it up. ;) )

Happy Trails!

Billy Ray
    Spectator

@rosyfinch

Locale: the mountains

Paul,
    I understand all that in far fewer words that you took to explain it.
    And explain the method you did, but still without giving a definition of LCW.
    In typical BPL form you seem to be more about arguing than being helpful.
    I say that because in just 3 words you cold have provided the answer. Instead you wrote paragraphs without providing the answer… though you did provide advice on the method of one finding the answer themselves.
    Regardless, if the OP wishes to communicate, he should write so that people out of his area will understand. But if he only wants to communicate with a certain group of people who know the code of his abbreviations, well, that's okay too… but limiting his responses as many people will not go to the trouble off searching for the definition of an abbreviation.

billy

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

"though you did provide advice on the method of one finding the answer themselves."

;)

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Gordon,

Even before the recent moisture the higher elevations on the west side would not have been doable without snowshoes or a lot of postholing. The lower elevations on the west side (like the CT or Brookside-McCurdy heading south of Lost Park) were close to being clear but it's hard to say whether that moisture was in the form of snow or rain. I called the FS yesterday and they said they're not even opening the gate on Lost Park road that takes you to Lost Park TH until 6/15. I don't think that's a good sign. Saturday is the best looking day in weeks (only 30% chance of rain!) so I may go over and check it out. But I'll stay low for sure. I'll let you know what I see if I get over there.

Gordon Gray
    BPL Member

@gordong

Thanks Randy.

I've changed my plans and am going to the Taos area in NM instead. However, I would still like to hear (and see!) your 'news report'.

I have a Father's Day 2 night trip with my daughters and am thinking LCW at that time.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Gordon, check out this thread for current info on the Pecos area of NM. The beginning of the thread is from several months ago, but the last few posts tell what sort of conditions you can expect right now.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=98519&skip_to_post=875038#875038

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Based on the continuing weather, my report will be the first one on packrafting the Colorado Trail :)

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools