Topic

Waterproof socks recs? Alternatives to Rocky gore-tex Socks? New Seal Skinz? Dexshell coolvent?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Waterproof socks recs? Alternatives to Rocky gore-tex Socks? New Seal Skinz? Dexshell coolvent?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

I wanted to use waterproof breathable socks in combination with non-waterproof train runners that I'm trading in for my gore-tex boots. Usually I'll be using the trail runners only with wool socks, but I liked the idea of having the gore-tex socks for camp if my shoes are wet, on longer snow fields, and on wet and cold glaciers.

I was intent on going with rocky gore-tex socks since they seem to get good reviews (especially here), but it seems that they are very hard to find right now. Rocky has eliminated the 13 inch ones and the 11's are available in limited sizes on their site and other sites. I can't find them in a size 12 anywhere. Is there another waterproof breathable sock that people know of or have used that are as good or better that the Rockies? The new seal-Skinz look interesting I was considering the "SealSkinz Thin Mid Length Sock". The wool/polyester/acryllic liner sounds pretty neat, but I'd still supplement it with a thin wool liner sock. Another option are the dexshell socks, but I have not read any reviews on them from the outdoor community.

I won't be using these in the winter, so I don't want a VBL or anything totally nonbreathable like plastic bags or neoprene……especially since sometimes I will be hiking in them.

http://www.backcountry.com/sealskinz-thin-mid-length-sock?ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6c2VhbHNraW56OjE6MTpzZWFsc2tpbno&skid=SSZ0002-BK-M#review

http://www.amazon.com/Dexshell-Coolvent-Waterproof-Socks-Medium/dp/B00IS5RHDM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1431835499&sr=8-6&keywords=waterproof+socks

These dexshells with the wool liners would probably be less stinky than the coolvent ones that have a polyester liner:

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

I once asked for hiking shoes when this topic arised: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=82514&startat=20

My experience with sealskinz is terrible, which I wrote in this thread. I was only sweating, so it was wet from the inside rather than the outside.

Someone then recommended Rocky Goretex (see thread) – I didn't try them yet but it seems as if substituting them with sealskinz would be a downgrade.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

If Sealskinz didn't alter the materials used for it since I used them in perhaps 2007 or 2008, I can't recommend them at all. They leaked after only 2 hikes and the knitted fabrics absorbed a lot of external originated water.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Rocky size 12 and other sizes will be available in June.

You'll need to go up one or even two sizes to get them on your feet and they go on easier over a thin sock than bare skin. My wife had to go up two sizes to avoid spending half a morning putting them on.

Who knows how many returns they've suffered due to communicating sizing poorly. Otherwise they work.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I only user use Rockies for camp wear (keep my camp socks clean and dry inside trail runners) and they are good at thst, bit not so good for hiking in.

Oh and seal skins are rubbish.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Have you looked under GORE Bike Wear? They also sell GoreTex socks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools